Amy's Reviews > Swearing Is Good for You: The Amazing Science of Bad Language

Swearing Is Good for You by Emma Byrne

61946844

bookshelves: nature-bio-and-general-science

Swearing is Good for You is a book on the many largely unknown and underappreciated aspects of swearing and it's adjacent fields of study. The chapters are mostly standalones tied together by the overall theme of the book, and I especially liked the chapters swearing and pain (chapter 2), primate studies and how chimpanzees invented swearing in sign (chapter 5), and the cross cultural study of swearing as a expression of emotion (chapter 7) because the information was compeltely new to me. Not that the other chapters weren't, bit these three top the list of favorites due to their subject matter and the fact that the other chapters had info that I was at least passingly familiar with. Overall, Swearing is Good for You is an excellent overview of the importance and function of swearing as a part of language, one that is well written and put together with accesibility for a general audience in mind. It is a book that I have recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swearing Is Good for You.

March 24, 2018 – Started Reading