Taschima's Reviews > Darkness Before Dawn

Darkness Before Dawn by J.A. London

Nov 10, 2011

bookshelves: to-read

Okay, why do you have to essentially copy the cover of the Fallen series? When I look at this book I can only think "The Fallen Series" and that ain't a compliment. Originality is also highly valued by customers.

ALSO HOLD YOUR HORSES, is this summary strangely alike Julie Kagawa's new vampire series, The Immortal Rules? Dystopian world where vampires have control over the humans and humans have to give them their blood to survive?

I. AM. WATCHING. YOU... And I'm not amused.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Before Dawn.

November 10, 2011 – Shelved
June 1, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read

Kari Also taking some from the Mortal Instruments series... Valentine. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of Blue Bloods references too...

message 2: by Pixie (new)

Pixie True about it sounding pretty similar to The Immortal Rules--however, I do have to take into account that it takes about a year to publish a book, plus there's no telling how long it took the author to write it. So, coincidences do happen. I have my own book that I've been working on months before I knew about this or Julie's that's also similar in premise. A bit unfortunate on my part, I guess, because if ever published people would have the same reaction. It'll probably never see public eyes now anyway. Oh yeah and I agree about the cover. Lol. Sorry to raid your comment box even though you're not on friends' list, I just liked your comment.

message 3: by Taschima (new) - added it

Taschima It's no problem! I like where you are coming from. I guess I never considered it that way, but I mean, it's like the publishers just want to feed us more of them same but with different outfits (that look strangely like other books as well), and hope really hard we don't notice! it's crazy!

And maybe we should change the whole "friends" thing then :)

message 4: by Amalia (new)

Amalia The first thought that came into my mind when I saw the cover was... "Not another Fallen book. Damn."

Can't believe I didn't realise before how similar the plot sounds with the Immortal Rules until you pointed it out. I guess we'll just have to see.. :(

message 5: by Taschima (new) - added it

Taschima Lol! Because the cover looks LIKE another Fallen series or mini novella.

After all this I am going to read it, and read The Immortal Rules, and then see how much alike they are.

Jessica You have to remember that yes, it does sound very similar to The Immortal Rules, but chances are that they were both written at around they same time, so there's probably no way that she could have copied from the series.
It's probably true that the author stole some elements from other books, but I actually just finished reading it, and I found that it was original...enough. Also, there are many covers that have this similarity, and it's not fault of the authors. They don't have a whole lot of say in the cover. It's just what looks good, especially with vampire novels.
Now, if you want to see a book that's complete unoriginal, read Half-Blood. Exactly like Vampire Academy. I think that the plot of this book was more coincidence that it happened to sound like The Immortal Rules then actually taking ideas from it.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

message 8: by Taschima (new) - added it

Taschima Jennie (My Cute Bookshelf) wrote: "It sounds like The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda too and The Coldest Girl in Coldtown. There are a bunch of YA books coming out with the same premise."

I am interested in The Hunt actually, want to read that one :D

Stephanie The cover is probably similar because it's the same artist who created both of them. Fernanda Brusi is the artist behind the dark covers.

message 10: by Yadi (new)

Yadi that is exactly what i said! As soon as i saw the cover i was like copying the fallen series cover!

message 11: by Taschima (new) - added it

Taschima Yeah I understand why the covers would be similar, the many many reasons, but I still want more originality you know? Cause the whole idea is so transparent, like we wouldn't notice what was going on.

message 12: by Yadi (new)

Yadi I completely understand what you are saying!

message 13: by Spacklefritz (new)

Spacklefritz I think what maybe the major differences between this and Julie Kagawa's series is (from the summary I'm guessing) at it's heart this will be a love story unlike Immortal Rules

message 14: by Taschima (new) - added it

Taschima Hmmm quite possibly, I loooved the Immortal Rules, awesome book.

message 15: by Spacklefritz (new)

Spacklefritz Indeed epic book was epic..I think I officially love Julie Kagawa (had to wait til she wrote a next series to be sure)

message 16: by Taschima (new) - added it

Taschima Spacklefritz wrote: "Indeed epic book was epic..I think I officially love Julie Kagawa (had to wait til she wrote a next series to be sure)"

She is one of my favorite authors, and she is soo nice herself. Can't wait to go to her signings at BEA! I am going to bring my copy of The Iron Daughter and The Iron Knight and basically beg her to sign them for me >.<

message 17: by Spacklefritz (new)

Spacklefritz oooh niiiice, I so envy you at this point in time :P

message 18: by Niki (new) - rated it 4 stars

Niki Okay, the cover does look like the Fallen series covers, but there's a difference. Fallen is STUPID. This book is kinda stupid but good.

message 19: by Taschima (new) - added it

Taschima Niki wrote: "Okay, the cover does look like the Fallen series covers, but there's a difference. Fallen is STUPID. This book is kinda stupid but good."

Lol I will keep that in mind! I read Fallen, the first book, have the rest but never really read them, didn't get a lot into it.

Lindsay Mead Ever see the movie Day Breakers? Sooo good, you should. It came out a year or two ago and it's about a vampire controlled society. I agree with Pixie Whitfield, I think it was just a coincidence that these books are alike. Although I don't think she should give up on her own book. Who knows, she might do it better :) I'm only one chapter in with his book and I like it so far. I'm also eager to read Julie's series.

message 21: by Ade (new) - added it

Ade It might look like Fallen, but there's no possible way that it can be Worse than Fallen.

message 22: by Taschima (new) - added it

Taschima Hai! Si! Yes!

message 23: by Shelbi (new)

Shelbi I thought the same thing when I looked at it.

Jéssica the cover is from the same artist as the ones from fallen

message 25: by Elke (new) - added it

Elke As I've learned from other authors, a book cover mostly is chosen by the publisher with not too much influence by the author. It's a common concept to create similar book covers to 'lure' new readers. I really hate that, and I miss the original and detailed old-style covers. However, I always try to not judge a book by its cover.

Fluffy Things & Red Roses Also .. why is there a backward 'R' .. That is so weird .. :/ :D

message 27: by Taschima (new) - added it

Taschima I should probably read this one soon, I do have it on my shelf...

message 28: by Janelle (new) - added it

Janelle So i wasn't the only one who thought this was a fallen novella when i first saw it then?

message 29: by Taschima (new) - added it

Taschima Nope :D

message 30: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Smiley I have to agree w/ you on the cover. When I first saw it I thought it was another book in the Fallen series. I hate that! Be original! It makes me wonder if this author has the talent to write a good book that's not a cheap knockoff of another story. I may or may not give them a chance to prove otherwise.

message 31: by Kari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kari I was a little pleasantly surprised by this one... You never know, you might like it... Plus it was a pretty quick read.

message 32: by Taschima (new) - added it

Taschima Kari wrote: "I was a little pleasantly surprised by this one... You never know, you might like it... Plus it was a pretty quick read."

Oh I have it, I just have so much on my plate right now... but I WILL eventually get to it! :D

message 33: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin Same. It has the same cover. :$

message 34: by You (new)

You May I also clicked the book to check if this was written by Kate Lauren, or the same publisher.

message 35: by Taschima (new) - added it

Taschima Jeremy wrote: "these covers look nothing like the fallen covers"

Well that is your opinion and you are more than welcome to it.

On the other hand the people who replied to my comment agree that it does look like a Fallen cover, it is probably the same girl, same photographer, same setting and or shots. It isn't THE EXACT SAME (I mean, different images were used of course) but when I saw this cover the first thing I thought was that this was either a novella for the Fallen series or an actual book. It is pretty much trying to piggy back ride off the fame of the Fallen series, intentionally or not.

message 36: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Buan I don't think this would be the author's fault though.. maybe she worked with The Fallen's cover artist? :)

message 37: by Taschima (new) - added it

Taschima I don't think it is the author's fault either (they rarely have any say on these things). I just believe that the powers that be wanted her series to syphon the fame from the Fallen series. If the Fallen series is popular then so shall be any other that even has a bit of resemblance to it.

Branigan I have read the Kagawa books and they are so much better than this!! It does strangely sound like her books which I never noticed, but the Kagawa books trump any dystopian and vampire mixes if you ask me! :D The Kagawa has much more of a hero and much more depth to it over this!

message 39: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Natalia It is very similar to The Immortal Rules series. Basically the same through and through when compared to this summary. But all in all, it has to be different. Its not like she used the same characters or anything. And characters are everything in a book. They make the story. So it doesn't matter if she has the same views as Kagawa. She still has to work to make the characters her own.

Howra Omg same !!

message 41: by Frosted (new)

Frosted Butterfly This novel popped up on my feed and I scrolled down and noticed what you said about this copying the cover, since you didn't do your research I will tell you that lauren kate got it from ONLINE she didn't ask the writer if she could use it for her 'novel' if that's what you could call it.