Joc's Reviews > Social Media Central

Social Media Central by Kevin Klehr

bookshelves: gay, bisexual, futuristic, mystery-suspense, celebrity

Set in the near future (50 years or so), Social Media Central has a premise that does not seem terribly implausible at all. Tayler is sitting on a park bench one day when a beautiful woman with an entourage of device carrying groupies walk by. Tayler is quite taken by her but has no idea who she is much to the surprise of the older man sharing the bench with him. The woman, Madeline Q, is intrigued enough by his ignorance to give him her card. Tayler’s phone is just that; a phone. It doesn’t connect to the web and he has no presence on Social Media Central which is a reduction of the internet into one interface and portal.

Astra City in this era is a city with empty steel and glass buildings because most people no longer work from offices. Schools no longer exist and children are educated via online instructional videos. People don’t go to each other’s houses for meals; instead they ‘mirror meal’ whereby they each get the same meal, connect and eat in front of their computers. Tayler is an anachronism among his generation because he prefers actual contact with people but Madeline intrigues him enough to go to one of her soirees. She is a fashion icon with a massive following and her opinions or actions are always trending. Tayler gets swept up in her lifestyle until somebody dies and he, Madeline and two others seem to be implicated.

Social Media Central is an interesting and thought-provoking read because along with its Orwellian undertones there is quite a powerful social commentary running through it. We’ve all read on the internet and Facebook how detrimental our addiction to screen and devices is. Ironic, isn’t it? There is a character in the novel who runs a book shop but it only had on bookshelf in it because people can no longer read anything longer than bite-sized chunks. I felt depressed about the lone bookshelf for a moment and then realised that it’s been ages since I read a book with pages I can turn and get a paper cut from.

I enjoyed reading this but there were parts where the pace dropped off and the characters were a little like blind moths bumping into each other. At times it also felt too didactic in its delivery but the mystery and intrigue around the dead body balanced that out to some extent.
On the whole, this is a good read with a lot to mull over.

Book received from Netgalley and NineStar Press for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Social Media Central.

March 24, 2018 – Started Reading
March 24, 2018 – Shelved
March 26, 2018 – Finished Reading
April 14, 2018 – Shelved as: gay
April 14, 2018 – Shelved as: bisexual
April 14, 2018 – Shelved as: futuristic
April 14, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery-suspense
April 14, 2018 – Shelved as: celebrity

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by lov2laf (new)

lov2laf Great review. Really interesting premise.

message 2: by Lex (new)

Lex Kent Great review Joc! :)

message 3: by Joc (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joc Thanks lov2laf and Lex.

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Beautiful review, Joc! :)

message 5: by Joc (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joc Thank you Diane ☺

message 6: by Kevin (new) - added it

Kevin Klehr Thanks for your review, Joc.

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul Wilgus Great review. I could actually see something like this happening. To a small extent it already is.

message 8: by Joc (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joc Pleasure Kevin. (And I won't even mention the cricket! lol)

Thank you Paul.