Iris's Reviews > An Ember in the Ashes

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

it was ok
bookshelves: boring, dark-and-stabby, fantasy, full-of-tropes, read-in-2018, 2-stars, whatever

The last hundred pages or so were good. The rest... not so much.

First of all, this book was tropey, cliche, and unoriginal. There was nothing new. At all.

Second of all, the world building was... bad. I won't say nonexistent, because I suppose it was there. Vaguely. Or at least, some effort was there. But... it didn't work. I have no clue how anything in this world works. It was confusing, and the world building just sort of barely existed.

Third of all, the characters. I flat out disliked Elias, and I just had no feelings whatsoever towards Laia.

Elias was vaguely sexist. He wasn't *too* bad, but he clearly viewed Laia and most of the other girls (other than sort of Helene, because they were such good friends) if not as objects exactly, as... He basically just appreciated them for their appearance.
He was portrayed as good because he didn't approve of raping the servants, but um... that doesn't make him good. Just less bad.

And Laia. I just have exactly no feelings towards her. At all. Whatsoever.

The romance wasn't great. It had... exactly no chemistry. Or development. It was semi-instalove, and was based on... appearances? And maybe the fact that Elias has some amount of basic human decency?
I don't really know.

And then there was this lovely quote, that was completely not called out.

"And because of all that, maybe we’ve forgotten that she’s a girl.”
“I have not forgotten Helene’s a girl.”
“I’m not talking physically. I’m talking about in her head. Girls think about things like this differently than we do."

And I'm sorry, what? How about no.

Overall? I was very unimpressed. I enjoyed the last hundred or so pages, and am *just* intrigued enough that I might pick up book two, but honestly? I'm wishing I'd listened to all the bad reviews on this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Ember in the Ashes.

March 23, 2018 – Shelved
March 23, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 20, 2018 – Started Reading
page 2
0.45% "I feel lie I'm either going to REALLY love this book, or I'm going to REALLY hate this book. I'm not quite sure which."
page 8
1.79% "This feels sorta cheesy so far, but it's not terrible."
page 50
11.21% "Enjoying this well enough so far, but... I don't really get the hype either..."
July 21, 2018 –
page 140
31.39% "I'm... sorta bored.

Also this is SOOOO tropey and cliche."
July 25, 2018 –
page 165
37.0% "Um, but how did he not die of thirst?"
July 27, 2018 –
page 257
57.62% "I am *this* close to DNFing..."
July 28, 2018 –
page 345
77.35% "This is almost getting better?"
July 29, 2018 –
page 426
95.52% "This is soooo cliche, but it's actually mildly enjoyable now."
July 29, 2018 – Finished Reading
July 30, 2018 – Shelved as: boring
July 30, 2018 – Shelved as: dark-and-stabby
July 30, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
July 30, 2018 – Shelved as: full-of-tropes
July 30, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
August 15, 2018 – Shelved as: 2-stars
November 12, 2018 – Shelved as: whatever

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

marksarenereviews I love a good controversial review (as in the majority of people rate this highly - average of 4.32)...especially when the review explains the reasons well :)

Iris marksarenereviews wrote: "I love a good controversial review (as in the majority of people rate this highly - average of 4.32)...especially when the review explains the reasons well :)"

Hahaha, thank you! The longer I spent on the review, the more complaints I had...