Jena Henry's Reviews > I'm Just Happy to Be Here: A Memoir of Renegade Mothering

I'm Just Happy to Be Here by Janelle Hanchett

Sometimes we read a book for fun, such as a book we take to the beach. Sometimes we choose a book because we are in the mood for something scary, or we like to solve mysteries, or we want to learn more about ancient China. And there are times that a book calls to us. "Read me so you can witness a life that seems so different from your own. So you can see what torment and suffering is. And so you can learn to love more."

I'm Happy Just to be Here is a great title for a book written by a young woman who had lost her job, children, dignity, health, mind and respect, and almost her marriage. The memoir of her years as a drug addict is one of the hardest books I have ever read. Every page seems to bring unrelenting misery and hopelessness and horribleness. Fortunately, it has a pretty happy ending.

And it's also fortunate that it is well written and contains gems such as If God only gave you the things you could handle, what would you need God for?

One of the best parts of the story for me was when the author learned that her grandmother had written a newspaper column for young mothers, 70 years ago. As many readers know, these days author writes a successful blog about mothering.

As a mother, this book was hard for me to read. "What if this had happened to my kids?" I kept thinking. But, this is a book worth reading, because it's a book about life. Highly recommend.
Thanks to NetGalley and Hanchette Books for an ARC.

Jena C. Henry, March 2018

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm Just Happy to Be Here.

Finished Reading