Kristin's Reviews > Out of Africa / Shadows on the Grass

Out of Africa / Shadows on the Grass by Isak Dinesen

liked it

I wasn't really sure what to expect from this book! Reading the blurb on the back, I was thinking it would be the story of the author and her husband, the end of their marriage, and running the coffee plantation in Africa. Imagine my surprise when I was halfway through the book without even a mention of her husband! In fact, he was only briefly mentioned once. I thought it was confusing that he was mentioned in the blurb but didn't factor into the story at all. But there isn't really a focus on her personal life...other than a few brief mentions of the people referring to her as a woman, you wouldn't know whether it was written by a man or woman. (I had to do some research afterwards about her life to satisfy my curiosity.)

This book is about her love of Africa. The writing is really beautiful, and her descriptions are so perfect that you feel like you're there. I didn't really see the racism that others mentioned...for her time I thought she seemed pretty respectful.

While I was actually reading this book, I really enjoyed it. But it took me so long to finish, because I didn't get super excited about picking it back up. I read somewhere a comparison of this book to How Green is My Valley, and I understand that. They're both beautifully written books that get under your skin and stick with you, but it's impossible for me to speed through them...they have to be read slowly. I just happened to enjoy that one more!

Very glad I read this one though...now I'm going to check out the movie!

P.S. I mostly skimmed Shadows in the Grass. There were a few interesting parts, but it had a slightly different feel and was repetitive at times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of Africa / Shadows on the Grass.

March 23, 2018 – Started Reading