John Balafoutas's Reviews > The Power of Six

The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore

U 50x66

bookshelves: currently-reading

*** The book I will be reviewing today is “the Power of Six” by Pittacus Lore. The genre of this book is nonfiction. I knew this due to the incorporation of an unknown planet and alien bounty hunters. Moreover, the overall theme of this book is that teamwork and hope triumphs all. This is shown by the six remaining Lorien kids and their struggle to become united once again in order to defeat the evil Mogadorians. “Never lose faith in yourself, and never lose hope; remember, even when this world throws its worst and then turns its back, there is still always hope.” The author, Pittacus Lore, is the author of this series and generally is known to write nonfiction space and alien novels.
“The Power of Six” starts off right where the first book, “I Am Number Four,” left off. The group of Four, Six, and Sam, Four’s friend, are fleeing Ohio and traveling South. The reason the group is fleeing Ohio is to escape the Mogadorian bounty hunters whose sole mission is to wipe out the Lorien Kids. The kids, being separated at birth are scattered throughout the world and are protected by a spell. This spell states that the kids have to be killed in a specific order, one to nine. If the kids stay hidden the spell will work, however, the kids are now met with a deadly decision. The kids must decide if they should stay hidden and keep the spell or unite as one and fight off the mogadorians. In addition to Four’s storyline, the author adds another person to the mix, number seven. Seven is currently located in Spain and her story goes hand in hand with Four’s story. Personally, this was very interesting to me due to the fact that the chapters would always switch the speaker and what was going to happen next. This book does a great job at keeping the reader interested through the connection of the remaining Lorienians and their stories.
Personally, I found this book very interesting and worthy of a good read. However, I do recommend that you read the first book before picking up “The Power of Six.” In the end, I would rate this book a 5/5 due to the ability of the author to incorporate two stories for the price of one. For me the background of the book made this read memorable and added intrigue. I was always asking myself what would happen next, and the author would kind of answer my question but never revealed the full answer. This cliffhanger method was very effective and kept me reading. Furthermore, this book really opened my eyes to the possibilities of life in space. Also, we as people don’t know who or what lives among us. Previously, I would have thought that aliens would look different from humans, however, this book showed me a different side of my idea and made me change my mind. However, I did not like how the author kept out the remaining kids. Because of this, I will be reading the next book in this series in the near future to continue the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Six.

March 23, 2018 – Started Reading
March 23, 2018 – Shelved
March 23, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 23, 2018 –
page 25
6.16% "This book starts slow but does a good job at connecting with the first book. Looking forward to the next chapter."
March 26, 2018 –
page 55
13.55% "I like how the author used two characters and continued to switch their perspective throughout the first for chapters."
March 27, 2018 –
page 88
21.67% "Great development in the main character, Marina, and her struggle on Earth."
March 29, 2018 –
page 104
25.62% "Very detailed about of how the characters develop their personalities"
April 3, 2018 –
page 120
April 13, 2018 –
page 150
36.95% "good development of #6 and her interactions to danger. still interested to see how this ends."
April 18, 2018 –
page 180
44.33% "the plot is building up really well looking forward to the ending."
April 20, 2018 –
page 200
49.26% "Clearly reaching the climax. I hope everything turns out ok in the end."
April 25, 2018 –
page 220
54.19% "Best descriptions for every situation. brings out each and every detail for the setting. Also very interesting how the author kept the connection between the characters brief yet meaningful."
May 1, 2018 –
page 406
100.0% "Hunkered down and finished this book. Really good ending and lead into the next book. I appreciate the characters and their development over the course of the novel. Looking forward to the next book."