Erin's Reviews > South of Superior

1975653
Nov 10, 2011

liked it
Read in November, 2011

I had high expectations for this book. It takes place in Michigan, my home state, in the U.P.. It has eccentric characters, a run down hotel, and small town life. These are all things that for me are a great recipe for a book. Unfortunately, this story was hard for me to get into and like.

I could not make myself care about any of the characters- actually, I take that back, I like Grayson, the little boy. And Arbutus. And the drunk guy with the beagle. I did not like anyone else really. The main character, Madeline, was too wrapped up in her own self-pity and anger and then alternately just plain boring most of the time; the love interest, or who I thought would be the love interest, Paul ended up falling for a druggie, neglectful mother who is way too young for him; and Gladys, well, she did have her moments where I liked her.

The story kind of bumbled along, moving forward - I didn't think the story was really any good until I got to the last 1/3 of the book. When Madeline started working on the hotel, moving into it, taking care of Grayson. I liked that then. The only negative in the end of the book was her relationship with Paul. I didn't believe it as a reader, and it felt too neat, like the tying up of loose ends.

The sense of small town community was not there enough for me. The depressed economy of Michigan, that was a great portrayal, especially in the upper peninsula, where things are even more difficult, from what I have read. If Airgood did one good thing in this novel, it shows the perseverance of people when the chips are down, and how they take care of their neighbors, even if they don't necessarily like them.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read South of Superior.

Kim-Lost-In-A-Book oh thank goodness. I just finally tossed this book aside, unfinished. Then I came to see the reviews and I saw how many people loved this book and I thought "hmmm maybe I missed something." I'm so glad I'm not alone in my dislike of this book. I couldn't stand Gladys at all. The plot was too slow moving for me and I just didn't care about the characters - nothing made me relate to them at all.

Erin Lol that feeling happens to me a lot! I am always looking around like, did they read the same book that I did? Yeah, this book just didn't do it for me. I have to care about the characters in a book to like it, and this book did not make me care about them. I am glad you agree! :)