Holly B's Reviews > Cross Her Heart

Cross Her Heart by Sarah Pinborough

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2018, disturbing-content

Last year's Behind Her Eyes (2018) was one of my top reads.  I really enjoy Pinborough's writing style and was beyond excited to read her newest. While this one has many of my favorite suspense elements ~ an unreliable narrator, a twisty plot, and a bunch of flawed characters (some I liked/others not so much), it never seemed to completely capture my interest. I found myself wondering if the final twist was going to "win" me over. You can be sure there are some shocker twists.

It is a fast read with plenty of surprises ( you may need to suspend belief a bit).  There is also a fair amount of disturbing content that I didn't feel contributed to the plot. It is well written with a plot that slowly builds as secrets are revealed. Perhaps some added eye rolling as well.

I'm not going into the plot, better to go in blind or read the blurb. I'm sure there will be many fans of this one. I do look forward to this very talented author's next novel.

Fans of domestic suspense with strong female characters and family secrets may really enjoy this one!

Thanks to the publisher for my advanced copy to review in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cross Her Heart.

March 23, 2018 – Shelved
March 23, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 29, 2018 – Started Reading
July 31, 2018 –
page 150
37.5% "This is good so far....I have a theory....."
August 1, 2018 –
page 250
62.5% ""Cross my heart and hope to die." he says. Hmm....is that a promise?"
August 3, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
August 3, 2018 – Shelved as: disturbing-content
August 3, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)

message 1: by Tina (new)

Tina Oooh..... hope this is a good one for you!

Carla Johnson-Hicks Can't wait to read your review.

ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ I look forward to your review.

message 4: by Rae (new)

Rae Hope this was a good one for you. Can't wait for your review.

message 5: by Diane S ☔ (new) - added it

Diane S ☔ Very nice review, Holly.

message 6: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Great review, Holly - and I hope your next outing with this author turns out better! :)

message 7: by KAS (new)

KAS Sorry this one wasn’t your cuppa, Holly :( Hope her next release is much better for you. Terrific review!! xoxo

message 8: by Rae (new)

Rae Sorry to hear this one didn't turn out to be a better read for you. Hopefully, your next one will be better.

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Great review, Holly! Behind Her Eyes was a favorite of mine as well, and then I read Pinborough’s The Language of Dying and was blown away by the beautiful writing. So of course I thought I’d love this one too, but I started it and had to put it down for while bc I just couldn’t get into it. Sorry you didn’t end up loving this one <3 maybe her next! 🤞🏻

Paromjit I wasn’t too enamoured with this either, Holly! Hope your next book is better. :)

Holly  B Tina wrote: "Oooh..... hope this is a good one for you!"

Thanks Tina!

Holly  B Carla wrote: "Can't wait to read your review."

Didn't quite make the mark Carla!

Holly  B ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ wrote: "I look forward to your review."

Fell a bit flat sadly, Thanks Shelley!!

Holly  B Rae wrote: "Hope this was a good one for you. Can't wait for your review."

Thanks Rae!!

Holly  B Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister wrote: "Great review, Holly! Behind Her Eyes was a favorite of mine as well, and then I read Pinborough’s The Language of Dying and was blown away by the beautiful writing. So of course I th..."

Yes! I hyped it up in my mind and then it didn't live up! LOL Thanks Kris!!

Holly  B Paromjit wrote: "I wasn’t too enamoured with this either, Holly! Hope your next book is better. :)"

Sorry it fell flat for you as well, Thanks so much Paromjit!!

message 17: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Great review Holly! Sorry it fell short :(.

message 18: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Sorry this didn’t live up to your expectations, Holly. Wonderful review!

message 19: by Kaceey (new) - added it

Kaceey Great review Holly! Sorry it didn’t quite work for you! I have this one on my shelf! Fingers crossed I will have better luck!🤞

message 20: by Mackey (new)

Mackey So sorry it wasn't a great read but it was a great review!

ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ Great review Holly. I was on the fence about this one, I think I will pass.

Holly  B Kendall wrote: "Great review Holly! Sorry it fell short :(."

Thx Kendie!

Holly  B Meredith wrote: "Sorry this didn’t live up to your expectations, Holly. Wonderful review!"

Thx Meredith!!

Holly  B Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Great review Holly! Sorry it didn’t quite work for you! I have this one on my shelf! Fingers crossed I will have better luck!🤞"

I hope you do too Kaceey!! Can't wait to find out!

Holly  B Mackey wrote: "So sorry it wasn't a great read but it was a great review!"

Thx Mackey!!

Holly  B ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ wrote: "Great review Holly. I was on the fence about this one, I think I will pass."

Thanks Shelley! There are many better reviews. Sadly it didn't work out for me!

JanB Oh no, the dreaded eye roll....I have this one and now I’m worried!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Thoughtful and well-written review, Holls! I hope your next read is five stars!

message 29: by Pat (new)

Pat Nice review Holly and glad for your honesty. After being NOT blown away by Behind Her Eyes I think I'll give this a miss.

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Sorry this wasn't a 5 🌟 readhope your next 📖 is better will give this a miss

Holly  B JanB wrote: "Oh no, the dreaded eye roll....I have this one and now I’m worried!"

Hope you end of loving it Jan!

Holly  B Pat wrote: "Nice review Holly and glad for your honesty. After being NOT blown away by Behind Her Eyes I think I'll give this a miss."

I do understand Pat! Thanks!!

Holly  B Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Thoughtful and well-written review, Holls! I hope your next read is five stars!"

Thanks Jenn!

Holly  B Lisa wrote: "Sorry this wasn't a 5 🌟 readhope your next 📖 is better will give this a miss"

Thanks a bunch Lisa!!

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books Great review, Holly! Wish this had been as good for you as her last books! I actually just bought Behind Her Eyes so I’m excited to hear you loved it!

Holly  B Mackenzie - Traveling Sister wrote: "Great review, Holly! Wish this had been as good for you as her last books! I actually just bought Behind Her Eyes so I’m excited to hear you loved it!"

It was one of my Favorites last year! Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

message 37: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Fab review, Holly! Sorry it wasn't what you expected!

Holly  B Nazanin wrote: "Fab review, Holly! Sorry it wasn't what you expected!"

Thanks Nazanin!

Susanne  Strong Fab review Holly! So sorry this didn’t quite work for you! I have this to read and now I’m scared.. when a plot makes my eyes roll... Oy. Anyhow, I hope your next read is fabulous!!

Holly  B Susanne wrote: "Fab review Holly! So sorry this didn’t quite work for you! I have this to read and now I’m scared.. when a plot makes my eyes roll... Oy. Anyhow, I hope your next read is fabulous!!"

Looking forward to your thoughts Susanne!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Yeah I didn't get the "extra" stuff either - to show girl power, I guess???? I do, however, LOVE this cover. Way better than the female face.

Holly  B Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Yeah I didn't get the "extra" stuff either - to show girl power, I guess???? I do, however, LOVE this cover. Way better than the female face."

I think so Kelly. Lots of girl power, I guess! I like this cover better too.

message 43: by Amber (new)

Amber Myott Loved your review thanks for the” suspend belief “ warning .... I think that often during some books

Norma * Traveling Sister Nice review, Holly!

Holly  B Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "Nice review, Holly!"

Thanks Norma!

Holly  B Amber wrote: "Loved your review thanks for the” suspend belief “ warning .... I think that often during some books"

Thanks Amber! hahaha

BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas) Sorry this wasn't as wonderful as her previous novel for you Holly. Fab, honest review!

Holly  B (Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas wrote: "Sorry this wasn't as wonderful as her previous novel for you Holly. Fab, honest review!"

Thanks Bern!! I so wanted it work out!

message 49: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Great review! I did not care for her debut novel, and will be passing on this one!

Holly  B Jayme wrote: "Great review! I did not care for her debut novel, and will be passing on this one!"

Thanks Jayme!!