Bruin Fisher's Reviews > By Honor Betrayed

By Honor Betrayed by Alex Beecroft

Nov 10, 2011

Age of Sail is a genre with exacting specifications - it's a peculiarly 'foreign' setting, requiring the author's mastery over such a lot of esoteric language and practice, it's a daunting task. Nevertheless there are a few authors who can pull it off convincingly and Ms Beecroft is at the top of her game. This is a brief novella which instantly pulls you in to its exciting and involving plot, perfectly recreating the life of an officer and his servant on board ship in the Royal Navy in the era of sail. I'm a critical reader, I know a bit about sailing ships, having sailed a tall ship myself, and nothing I read tripped me up, which is quite a feat.

The protagonists are likeable and believable, with all of the anxieties and caution that you would expect from a same sex pair in a world that condemned such things. I loved their relationship, built on years of loyal friendship. They have to find a way to make a life for themselves and they work out a plan to achieve that, and the story takes them on a first step towards that end. And then it stops. It is, after all, a novella, so we shouldn't expect an epic sweep of narrative taking them from adventure to adventure until their eventual arrival at a happy conclusion, but I do feel quite strongly, as have some other reviewers I notice, that there's more to their story that hasn't yet been told and if Ms Beecroft reads these things may I plead for episodes two and three, at least?? Please? Pretty Please?

This is truly great writing, but I want more of it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By Honor Betrayed.

Started Reading