Kyria's Reviews > Mummy, I Have to Go Potty: A Visit to Toilets Around the World

Mummy, I Have to Go Potty by Wilma Shine

Nov 09, 2011

it was ok

I was very excited about this book when I ordered it. I have traveled a lot and the different places you have to go to the restroom are very interesting, sometimes very dirty and often very strange. I thought it would be fun to see what someone else thought about the subject.

First off, I thought this was a book that went into detail about the subject, with references to back things up and things like that. It is not. It is basically a children’s book for adults which gives a very brief overview of some toilet related items. For example, she lists all the different names for toilets around the (English speaking) world (crapper, john, water closet). This was interesting to me, but I guess I would have liked to see further information, like perhaps HOW some of these names came to be. One of her terms is “Mrs. Jones Locus”. I wonder why it is called that. I wish she would have elaborated.

She does talk briefly about how people used to use moss and hay as diapers, how in the olden days, chamber pots were used and how boys have it lucky, since they can use a tree. These are all interesting facts, but again, I was expecting more elaboration and clarification, not just a list of terms or things that happened.

I also happen to know that this woman’s first language is not English and I am not sure if that is why sometimes her grammar is not quite right. She also ended the book in a strange manner, without actually concluding anything. You are reading and then all of a sudden, boom - it is over.

If you are looking for a quick read which talks briefly about the different terms for toilets and using the bathroom as well as talking about diapers for children and adults and even touches on animals using the bathroom, this is a great read for you. If you are looking for more information or examples of toilets or bathroom conditions around the world, you may be disappointed.

I give this book 2 out of 5. It was okay but it could have been better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mummy, I Have to Go Potty.