Iris's Reviews > The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo

SO BEAUTIFUL!! That is all. Bye.

No, I do have a lot more to say about this book, although it all probably could be summed up by the word ‘Beautiful’. Because ever aspect of this book is beautiful. The cover is gorgeous, the writing is even more gorgeous, and the illustrations are the most gorgeous of all. SO PRETTY!

When I was first starting this book I was a little dubious… I mean, it’s Leigh Bardugo, so I knew it couldn’t be awful, but because they’re short stories they lack a lot of the character development that made me so love her other books. Because they’re fairytales they lack the sassy banter that made Six of Crows a favourite. But I shouldn’t have worried. Although they lack those things, the fairytale style of them gives her beautiful writing a chance to shine. And it more than made up for the fact that they didn’t have witty banter.

And the character development was actually really good for such short stories. Leigh Bardugo has a real talent for writing characters, and it shows here as just much as it does in her full length books. The fact that she can write thoroughly well developed characters in as little as fifty pages is pretty darn impressive!

Also the art is GORGEOUS! I love it with all my heart! Love love love it! I have a very strict rule for myself. I buy books new ONLY if I haven’t already read them. If I want to add something I’ve already read I to my collection it can wait until I find it used. I’ve already decided I’m breaking that rule on this book. I simply can’t bear to return it to the library without the knowledge that I’ll be adding it to my collection at some point in the future, and I don’t want it even the slightest bit damaged. I NEVER break this rule. Never. Until I start making some money I’m simply too broke to even want to spend my money on books I’ve already read, and can always access again, when I could be buying books that I haven’t read, most likely that my library doesn’t have. But I’m breaking it for this book.

Because THE ART!!! I LOVE the art style, and OH MY GOODNESS THE PICTURES ARE JUST SO PRETTY!!!

descriptiondescription

So pretty, right?

description

I think this one might be my favourite.

description

Ooh, no maybe this one’s my favourite…!

description

Ooh, no maybe this one! Why am I even trying to decide? They’re all so beautiful!

Anyways, this book is an absolute must read for all Leigh Bardugo fans, or even people who vaguely sorta liked her books. Or just anyone. So go read it! What are you waiting for?! Read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of Thorns.

Quotes Iris Liked

Leigh Bardugo
“They pray that their children will be brave and clever and strong, that they will tell the true stories instead of the easy ones. They pray for sons with red eyes and daughters with horns.”
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

March 22, 2018 – Shelved
March 22, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
April 20, 2018 – Started Reading
April 20, 2018 –
page 143
50.89% "This book is so beautiful! I am in love!"
April 20, 2018 – Shelved as: 5-stars
November 11, 2018 – Shelved as: dark-and-stabby
November 11, 2018 – Shelved as: whimsy
November 11, 2018 – Shelved as: wow
November 18, 2018 – Shelved as: best-of-the-best

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Iris Ummm... so these images are tiny. HELP?!?!?! Why are my images tiny, and what can I do to fix this? Please send help.

message 2: by Anne (new) - added it

Anne I'm using the app on my phone and they are perfect! Maybe it's different on the website? (the pictures are really pretty by the way😁)

Iris Anne wrote: "I'm using the app on my phone and they are perfect! Maybe it's different on the website? (the pictures are really pretty by the way😁)"

Well that's good to know at least... They certainly aren't working on the website, but it's better than nothing... And thanks!

Iris GOT IT!!! My pictures are now normal sized! You know... In case anyone is looking at these comments and is confused.

message 5: by Kaya (new) - added it

Kaya Oh, I was so on the fence about this book for the same reasons you stated but seeing how much you enjoyed it has convinced me to pick it up(one of these days)

Iris Kaya wrote: "Oh, I was so on the fence about this book for the same reasons you stated but seeing how much you enjoyed it has convinced me to pick it up(one of these days)"

Seriously, it is SO worth it! You should definitely read it!