Dee Ortmann Patterson's Reviews > Act Normal: Memoir of a Stumbling Block

Act Normal by Kristy Burmeister

I read this book in 24 hours during my wife's surgery and recovery at home. That's how good and well written it was. The author, Kristy Burmeister, was brutally honest, even when it meant she looked like shit. HEAR ME OUT! Memoirs are my favorite genre of book. I adore and sink into books that share and bear their soul about everything, not just the things that make them look good. Kristy lets you know she is human from the start. She allows you to watch her evolve from the trauma of being stalked and terrorized. She allows you to follow her pain as she slowly backs away from the church that let her down. I could identify with her thoughts and feelings of abandonment and betrayal from people she thought loved and cared about her. The part that hit me square in the chest was when JR came into the picture. The feelings and heartache of "why is this happening again?" and "what is about me that makes this happen to me?" was so familiar it broke me down.
I also want to mention that I'm grateful Janaye came into the picture and mentioned PTSD. By validating Kristy's feelings and concerns she helped her come to realize that there are lasting effects from trauma that need to be dealt with and worked through.
Great book through and through.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Act Normal.

Finished Reading