Kathryn's Reviews > Full Dark, No Stars

Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King

Nov 09, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, stephen-king-read, own, horror-read, short-story-collections, i-recommend, 2012-read

I see why this collection is titled, "Full Dark, No Stars."

This is a collection of four short stories or novellas, or five if you have the bonus story 'Under the Weather.' I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't read it, but I will say these stories are dark. They make you question what you would do in these situations, or at least they made me question what I would do. The bonus story, 'Under the Weather' was my least favorite. There was something about it, and I can't quite put my thumb on it. Maybe it fell flat to me, in which you might say, "Then why did you give the book 5 stars?" Well, its a bonus story, and not every version of FD, NS has it.

Digressing..1922 really shows the evil people are capable of, but at the same time, you almost feel bad for Wilf for his situation. This story really put you in the year of 1922, and in Wilf's psychosis. I thought it was fantastic.

Big Driver was also fantastic. I had so many questions in my head, "What would I do if I was Tess? What if I was put into that situation?" I don't know, and I don't want to know. But, King again, shows women are capable of overcoming and seeking revenge, and again, how evil people, in this story, a family can be. Its almost sort of empowering, the story King creates, but only for women.

Fair Extension made me laugh, but also made me wonder if someone would do those things to me and my family, or if there was anyone I disliked enough to do that to. Or, should I say, if I had the balls to do a deal with basically the devil, and cause someone else so much grief. Again, King hit that same 'evil' note: How evil can one be to knowingly cause and allow bad things happen to an innocent person and his family?

A Good Marriage had me questioning my own marriage...if that's even possible. It just had me wondering, "How would I feel if I found out about my husband's secret life? Would I stay? Turn him in?" I don't know...I really, really don't know. That's hard...One moment you're impossibly in love with someone, and before you know it, the next moment you are thrown into a whole new reality. Another jewel of a story with the same evil note.

I think the one word which stands out about these stories, with the exception of Under the Weather, is evil. These stories, to me, were fraught with evil. The evil people do, are capable of, and how far people are willing to go.

This was the first short story collection of King's I've read, and it didn't disappoint me. It was fantastic, gritty, and dark...just like the title says.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Full Dark, No Stars.

November 9, 2011 – Shelved
page 111
page 135
24.11% "Big Driver"
page 142
25.36% "Big Driver-I can already tell something's gonna happen..."
March 22, 2012 –
page 283
page 314
page 350
page 371
66.25% "Under the Weather"
March 27, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites
March 27, 2012 – Shelved as: stephen-king-read
March 27, 2012 – Finished Reading
June 16, 2012 – Shelved as: own
June 19, 2012 – Shelved as: horror-read
June 19, 2012 – Shelved as: short-story-collections
September 24, 2012 – Shelved as: i-recommend
November 23, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012-read

Dustin So are you reading the paperback version, which includes the bonus story, Kathryn?

Kathryn Dustin wrote: "So are you reading the paperback version, which includes the bonus story, Kathryn?"

I sure am! :)

Dustin Awesome!

I wish I had that version..

Dustin Hi, Kathryn!!
What do you think, so far?

Kathryn I really like it so far! I'm at the part in 1922 where Wilf was just told Shannon is pregnant. I would LOVE to finish this story tonight and join in the discussions. I don't want to spoil anything for myself, you know?

Dustin Kathryn wrote: "I really like it so far! I'm at the part in 1922 where Wilf was just told Shannon is pregnant. I would LOVE to finish this story tonight and join in the discussions. I don't want to spoil anything ..."

Yep, I understand perfectly.:)

message 7: by Gabriela (new) - added it

Gabriela Let me know how it is...I'm dying to play catch up with all the Stephen King books. Last one I read was Duma Key!

Kathryn Gabriela! You need to get on it! I really liked Duma Key! So far, this one is pretty good, but I'm only halfway through the first novella. I'll post a review when I finish! :)

Dustin So you've entered Big Driver, huh!?! EEK!

Kathryn Dustin wrote: "So you've entered Big Driver, huh!?! EEK!"

HAHAHA...I have a feeling I am going to "EEEEK!" while I read it. I'll send you a private message and tell you where I am in it.

Dustin All right, cool!:)

Holly So glad you liked it. I thought you would!

Dustin You just finished, Kathryn!?!!

Kathryn FINISHED!!! Check out my review!!!

message 15: by seak (new) - added it

seak I've never read his short stories, really I haven't read a lot of King outside of The Dark Tower, but now I think I'll have to. Great review, thanks.

Kathryn Seak (Bryce L.) wrote: "I've never read his short stories, really I haven't read a lot of King outside of The Dark Tower, but now I think I'll have to. Great review, thanks."

Thanks!! This was a first time short story read, and it was great! Or at least I thought so!

Tonya It was great huh!? lol I'm so glad you enjoyed it:)

Kathryn Tonya wrote: "It was great huh!? lol I'm so glad you enjoyed it:)"

It really was! I am glad it was my first dose of King short stories! :)

Dustin Hi, Kathryn-

Fantastic review, IMO! It's SPOT-ON!

Kathryn Dustin wrote: "Hi, Kathryn-

Fantastic review, IMO! It's SPOT-ON!"

Thanks Dustin!

Dustin You are very welcome.:)

Holly Have you read Just Past Sunset yet?

Kathryn Holly wrote: "Have you read Just Past Sunset yet?"

Not yet! I own it, though. haha

Holly I think you'll enjoy that one too when you get around to it. :)

Kathryn Holly wrote: "I think you'll enjoy that one too when you get around to it. :)"

Haha, one of these days!

Holly Lol, I know what you mean!

Dustin Holly wrote: "I think you'll enjoy that one too when you get around to it. :)"

Yeah, I'm sure you'll love it, Kathryn.:)

Chris I got really lucky today and found a Hard Cover First edition in the bargain section at Barnes and Noble. I had to get it. Bummed about the Bonus story not in this but it was to good to pass up. I look forward to reading it after reading your review.

Kathryn Chris wrote: "I got really lucky today and found a Hard Cover First edition in the bargain section at Barnes and Noble. I had to get it. Bummed about the Bonus story not in this but it was to good to pass up. I ..."

I think you will definitely enjoy it! Like I said in my review....the theme is evil in these stories.

Tonya Great review Kathryn!

Kathryn Tonya wrote: "Great review Kathryn!"

Thanks, Tonya!

Christopher Jones Oh, I only got the hardcover. No bonus story. I have to say that, like most, I liked 1922 the best. It does a good job of showing how a crime can gradually wear and tear the relationships (as well as the sanity) of those who partake in it. Very well done.

Big Driver was similarly well done, but I expected something similar, with Tess' sanity slowly lowering into madness.

Peter Mcnally Big Driver. FDNS. Did I miss something? Was there no clue left for the police to find the bodies in the culvert?