LARRY's Reviews > Boy Still Missing

Jun 24, 2007

bookshelves: literature
Read in September, 2007

As posted in [http://www.amazon.com]:

I've never heard of this book until a friend recommended this book to me while we were helping a friend move. The friend that was moving had set aside a box of books that she was going to donate. Of course, being the bookworms that we are, we couldn't resist the urge to rummage through. Thus, I was directed to this book.

I cannot believe that I had never heard of this book before. Most of the reviews give this book a high praise. While it isn't the best book that I've read, it's is one of the best books that I've read recently.

Like the Library Journal says, it's all about alcoholism, adultery, abortion, adoption and abduction. Dominick is a 15-year-old young man in Holedo, Massachusetts. He accompanies his mother at the end of the day, looking for his drunk father in bars. If his father is not found in any bars, there's only one other place he can be...at his mistress', Edie.

The thing is Dominick and Edie begin a secret and "innocent affair". Dominick feels responsible for her, especially after they discover that she's pregnant by his father. However, unknown to everyone, Dominick's mother is also pregnant.

The book moves somewhat slow but soon picks up the pace after Dominick's mother is found dead in a motel when she tried to do a homemade abortion. At the same time, Edie disappears. Dominick feels extremely guilty because he stole money from his mother to help out Edie. Edie promised to pay him back. Dominick is angry and decides revenge. But first, he must find her.

"Boy Still Missing" is a good read, filled with suspense and twists.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy Still Missing.