Ill D's Reviews > Batman, Judge Dredd: Judgement on Gotham

Batman, Judge Dredd by Alan Grant

bookshelves: comic-reviews, comics, reviewed
Recommended for: Fans of Justice

Let me tell you about a cool cat named Stewart. Not only does he read all the hip comics these days but, always has a groovy recommendation to share. So when he recommended me the first Batman/Judge Dredd crossover I was all over it.

What starts as an erstwhile Batman hunts-down-the-bad-guys-affair swiftly devolves into a cacophonous otherworldly journey into the dimension(?) of Judge Dredd's plane. Phenomenally well put together art works straddles the line between the hallucinatory and the ribaldry realistic. Glints and gleams of both worlds in character and art enflesh this story of epic proportions.

When Judge Death hooks up with Scarecrow (natch) it's up to Batman and his newfound otherworld ally to save the day. First spikes and then an utter deluge of the subconscious roars across the pages with unfiltered atavism. With more right hooks than the Thrilla in Manilla, your eyeballs will be overwhelmed by the sheer illustrated force of this comic.

The typical comic book hijinks graft themselves unto a plot so diabolical in nature it threatens the very nature (also natch) of Gotham City. Will the Batman be able to save the day? Will Mean Machine be able to fix his clock of doom so he can be right more than twice a day? And will Judge Dredd be able to administer justice upon a crime so demented and foul?

You'll just have to read it yourself and find out.

One and a half guilty thumbs up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman, Judge Dredd.

March 22, 2018 – Started Reading
March 22, 2018 – Shelved
March 22, 2018 – Shelved as: comic-reviews
March 22, 2018 – Finished Reading
January 30, 2019 – Shelved as: comics
January 31, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Stewart Tame Glad you liked it. :-) The moment that made the book for me was seeing Judge Death hit by the Scarecrow's fear gas. Bisley outdid himself on that page ...

message 2: by Ill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ill D Haha. It was pretty funny to see that plush bears and such to be his greatest fear. XD

message 3: by Ill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ill D I still wish Dredd had featured into the comic more.

message 4: by Chad (new)

Chad Alan Grant was a longtime writer for both characters. A perfect choice for this.

message 5: by Ill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ill D You know, its a funny thing we were all discussing cross-overs just the other day. I looked into my booklist and I actually read the Batman/DareDevil comic Grant wrote a short while ago that I enjoyed. I look forward to enjoying more of his works.

Stewart Tame Judge Dredd is worth reading in general. Fun stuff! I was a fairly rabid fan of 2000AD during the 80's thanks to an awesome local comics shop that stocked them.