Annette Abbott's Reviews > A History of the World in 100 Objects

A History of the World in 100 Objects by Neil MacGregor

I haven't yet worked out if this would be better if it were read cover-to-cover since I basically have read it by jumping back and forth. Having grown up in a world where most Americans had a set of Encyclopedia Britannica's in their home, I read this the way I would "read" an encyclopedia - by just cracking it open and reading an entry. It's informative, it has great pictures, you can start anywhere, read a few pages and be educated/amazed.

It is the history of man through 100 objects - all of which are from the collection at the British Museum. It starts with one of the earliest of objects made by man: a chopping tool from Olduvai (2 mya) and finishes with a solar powered lamp and charger (2010). It's also divided by subjects -- food, sex, religion, trade, status, economy, etc.

I've been to the British Museum a number of times and each time found myself in awe of their collection. Reading this book has renewed my interesting in buying a ticket to return to London for a long weekend simply to revisit its museums.

THIS is the book you'll want to buy everyone for Christmas 2011. History buffs will like it. Information/trivia geeks will love it. Those who love museums and rich photos will love it. Any human would love it -- after all, it's essentially about him and his species.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A History of the World in 100 Objects.

Finished Reading