Naksed's Reviews > Shadowheart

Shadowheart by Laura Kinsale

DNF at Chapter 18 out of 32.

I didn't get this at all. The whole bdsm thing was so cringeworthy especially as it felt like he was reliving his childhood abuse at the hands of his monster father. As for her, the dominatrix, sex maniac persona was barf. I couldn't care less about the swashbuckling adventure and political intrigue either. I am definitely in the minority when it comes to this author but she is simply not for me. My second attempt at a book from her with the same DNF result :(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowheart.

March 21, 2018 – Shelved
July 20, 2018 – Shelved as: bdsm
July 20, 2018 – Shelved as: medieval-romance
July 20, 2018 – Shelved as: pirate-romance
July 20, 2018 – Shelved as: swashbuckler

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by KC (new)

KC I am definitely in the minority when it comes to this author but she is simply not for me.

message 2: by Naksed (new) - added it

Naksed KC 2.0 wrote: "I am definitely in the minority when it comes to this author but she is simply not for me.

Ditto. I could chat endlessly on why, but I won't bore you with the details. :) At least you tried."

Oh you won't bore me KC! Glad to know I'm not the only one feeling this way.

message 3: by KC (new)

KC You're definitely not alone. I feel the subplots overshadow the romance because her heroes are often more engrossed in their own troubles/adventures/OW than heroine, while her heroines tend to be shrews. But, hey, to each his own!

message 4: by Naksed (new) - added it

Naksed KC 2.0 wrote: "You're definitely not alone. I feel the subplots overshadow the romance because her heroes are often more engrossed in their own troubles/adventures/OW than heroine, while her heroines tend to be s..."

Exactly what I felt after reading the beginning of Flowers from the Storm and why I couldn't go on, despite all the glowing reviews and friends' recs. As you say, to each their own.