C.E. G's Reviews > It's Kind of a Funny Story

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

Nov 09, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: ya-ya-ya

A teenage boy is overwhelmed by the pressures of an elite NY high school, and checks himself into a psychiatric hospital after feeling suicidal.

What this book has going for it: cool cover, a funny take on peeing, and apparently a shit ton of fans.

But I was underwhelmed. I didn't emotionally click with the main character, perhaps because his depression caused him not to feel much other than anxiety, and maybe I need the character to feel pain in order to connect. Plus I never really connected with his desire to get rich and get a wife and have a nice car.

And... what the eff? Least sensitive portrayal of a trans character I've seen portrayed in literature in a while. I would have given the book two stars, but portraying a trans woman as deceitful and hypersexual and not having a gender worth respecting makes me sort of vengeful in my rating. The treatment of his (former) love interest also felt a little weird. Blah, gross.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Kind of a Funny Story.

Started Reading
November 9, 2011 – Shelved as: ya-ya-ya
November 9, 2011 – Shelved
November 9, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Allie (new) - added it

Allie Have you seen the movie? I liked it quite a bit.

message 2: by C.E. (new) - rated it 1 star

C.E. G no! for my YA materials class, i had a choice between watching the movie and reading the book. maybe i chose wrong?

message 3: by Allie (new) - added it

Allie I would watch it. I thought it was really sweet and endearing.