Kristen Burns's Reviews > School for Psychics

School for Psychics by K.C. Archer

3.5 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book via NetGalley. This has not influenced my review.*

Though I struggled to get invested at first, this was one of those books that got better as it went on. For my review though, I've decided to make some good ol' lists!

Likes:

- In the beginning, Teddy was unlikeable, but she was realistic. She was someone who had made a lot of bad decisions, ones that led to having a gambling problem, and owing a lot of money to a bad man, and stealing money from her parents to pay off some of her debt. Even when she got to the school, which was her last chance to turn her life around, she kept making bad decisions, like showing up to her entrance exam late because she was hungover and had spent the night with a guy. But then she started trying to change, and in some ways she did, in other ways she didn't, in other ways still she took a while but eventually started to get there. And I think the same can be said for all the characters---none of them were too perfect, and all of them were frustrating to read about at times. It was completely believable though. People aren't perfect, people make bad choices, people don't communicate everything, people don't change overnight, and some people don't change at all in some ways. So the characters were not easily likeable, but I appreciated how realistic they were.

- The book had some relationships that didn't go as expected or that didn't last long, but that was believable too. Some acquaintances never become more. Some friendships are temporary. Not every person you're attracted to becomes someone you date. And this bit of realism kept the friendships and relationships unpredictable.

- The book had its funny moments, and Teddy could be relatable, at times, as a fellow millennial.

- The plot started a bit slow-paced but got more gripping as the book went on.

Dislikes:

- Teddy made some decisions that didn't make sense to me. Like lying to Clint when there were strange and possibly dangerous things happening, and like automatically trusting certain people even though she had major trust issues in general.

- At the beginning, the book seemed to be full of cliches and stereotype characters---the brooding bad boy with black hair over his eyes and tattoos, the hacker friend, the "alphas" and "misfits" cliques, the tough female drill sergeant instructor (whom I'm immediately pictured as Jane Lynch for some reason). While I can't say these really changed, they did become less noticeable as the story filled out, and some of the characters were shown to be more than just their stereotype.

- Sometimes characters (who, supposedly, could not read minds) seemed to know/understand things that they shouldn't have. This wasn't a big deal, it didn't cause any plot holes or anything, it just bothered me each time it happened.

- At the start of the book, Teddy mentioned having epilepsy, but it was quickly revealed to just be a side effect of her psychic ability. There was really no point in even including that. It just kind of makes the disability seem like it's not a real thing.

- Sometimes things happened a little too perfectly.

Overall Thoughts:

I have somewhat mixed feelings about this book, but it wasn't bad. There were a few things that didn't quite make sense, but the realism of the imperfect characters definitely stood out to me in a great way.

Recommended For:
Anyone who likes realistically flawed characters and relationships, psychic/telepathic powers, and a bit of mystery.

Original Review @ Metaphors and Moonlight

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read School for Psychics.

March 21, 2018 – Started Reading