Erica's Reviews > Sugar

Sugar by Bernice L. McFadden

This is a little like a Toni Morrison or Zora Neale Hurston novel in that it follows black women as they experience a lot of awful situations and some terrible people.
This one is set in Arkansas in a small town full of gossips and upstanding Christian do-gooders.
It focuses on the lives of Sugar Lacey, an itinerant prostitute who has just moved in to #10 Grove Street, and her new neighbor, the long-grieving Pearl Taylor whose daughter was horribly murdered 15 years prior.

The town hates Sugar, of course, and they look to Pearl to feed them salacious news of the whore next door. What happens, instead, is Sugar's more than passing resemblance to Pearl's dead daughter, Jude, creates a sort of stubbornness in the older woman and she pretty much forces her friendship on the reclusive yet often-naked neighbor via sweet potato pies.

As the two become close, Sugar fails to remain aloof and uncaring while Pearl chooses friendship over her reputation with the snippy townsfolk. Both women learn so much from each other and are on their way to becoming complete people, learning to accept, acknowledge, and live past their grief, their misery, their shame. But, as always, love screws everything up because that's just what love does.

I was on board with this story until Joe came back home and everything took a turn for the melodramatic. The pace of the story changed to a hectic clip and ALL THE THINGS! started happening and coming together and it was just too much, too fast, too over-the-top.

All in all, it's a wonderful story, the last third, or so, was just too much for my own personal taste.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sugar.

March 21, 2018 – Shelved
March 30, 2018 – Started Reading
April 13, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by LaDonna (new) - added it

LaDonna Erica, your review solidified the fact that I need to read this book. I don't know when I'll get to it, but I know I want to read it for myself. Great review!

Erica LaDonna wrote: "Erica, your review solidified the fact that I need to read this book. I don't know when I'll get to it, but I know I want to read it for myself. Great review!"

Oh, LaDonna, thank you!
I hope that when you do get to read this, you enjoy it immensely.