Lucy's Reviews > Let Me Lie

Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh

bookshelves: own-but-havent-read-yet, crime-mystery-thriller, thriller, contemporary, mental-health

Suicide? Think again.

This book has solidified it for me; Clare Mackintosh is one of my favourite authors. I loved I Let You Go, I haven't read I See You yet but am definitely hoping to get to it soon, so I had such high expectations for this book and it didn't let me down.

This book begins one year after the death of Anna's mum, who committed suicide just months after her husband. Anna has always struggled with believing that her parents deaths were really suicides so when she gets a card that hints that there may be more to the story she sets out to find the truth. She soon starts to learn though that sometimes it's better just to let things lie.

This book is told in multiple POV's, mainly Anna's and ex-policeman Murray's. In a lot of thrillers I end up being let down by the detective aspect, I usually find police procedural's rather boring to read but that is definitely not the case in Mackintosh's novels. I adored Murray's chapters in this one. I felt so drawn to him as a character and became completely invested in his personal story.

Mackintosh is such a fantastic writer. She really pulls the reader in, and although this one is a slower burn that I usually like in my thrillers, I was absolutely hooked right away. I love the way that she can make me feel when reading. This book made me quite emotional at times which I wasn't expecting, I just felt such a strong connection to these characters and their stories. I'm so excited to see what else is to come by Mackintosh as she's really blowing me away so far.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let Me Lie.

March 21, 2018 – Shelved