SueLucie's Reviews > Our Homesick Songs

Our Homesick Songs by Emma Hooper

bookshelves: netgalley

What is it about this book that I loved so much? I am always drawn to stories set in a northern wilderness, especially on an island, and it ticked that box. Difficult lives, for sure, and it is a sad story in some ways - the people’s livelihoods taken away by overfishing and their very homes under threat, leading to the parents working away from home on rotation with all the stress that involves. The two children touched me most, both trying to save their family in their own ways. I was drawn to brave, resilient, determined Cora. My heart belongs to Finn, though, so earnest in his strategies to call the fish back and save the day.

Gorgeous descriptions of landscape, especially the hazardous wintry ocean, plenty of wry humour, despite the serious themes, pithy dialogue, to say the least, I liked everything about this book and the ending was a joy. I particularly enjoyed Cora’s surreal installations in the empty houses, Finn’s sound and light extravaganza and the vision of Sophie clanking around with her medals up her jumper.

A solid 4-star read, with an extra star for Finn himself.

With thanks to Penguin/Fig Tree via NetGalley for the opportunity to read an ARC.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Homesick Songs.

March 21, 2018 – Started Reading
March 21, 2018 – Shelved
March 21, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley
March 23, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Anni (new)

Anni This sounds like a TBR if ever there was one!

SueLucie Anne wrote: "This sounds like a TBR if ever there was one!"

Well, its quirkiness appealed to me. I hope you'd like it too.

message 3: by Lynn (new) - added it

Lynn Definitely one for me.

SueLucie I hope so, Lynn. Do you remember Etta & Otto et al? I've forgotten it now so should look it out again.

message 5: by Lynn (new) - added it

Lynn Not at all but I gave it 4 stars lol

Angela M Sue , you have written a beautiful review !

message 7: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara Great review. I love the book already! I love northern islands, but haven't made it to Newfoundland (yet).