Scott Cumming's Reviews > Rumrunners

Rumrunners by Eric Beetner

An endorsement of this book might be that it wasn't even the one I intended to read next. I just happened to pick it up and have a look over the first few lines as I am sometimes wont to do. This look turned into reading the first chapter, then the second chapter and then I was reeled in.

The book introduces us to the McGraw family, who have been driving and delivering goods for the Stanley crime family for a century. Octogenarian, Calvin McGraw, is the patriarch of the family and is struggling with his retirement out in Omaha. His son, Webb, still works for the Stanleys and is tasked with delivering a truckload of unprocessed meth. Tucker McGraw, Webb's son, has diverged from the family tradition and ia a divorced insurance salesman with visitation rights every other weekend.

Webb goes missing with his cargo and this brings one of Stanley's men to Tucker's door to inform him the $10 million debt is now his. Tucker calls his Granddad Calvin in an effort to find out what's happened to Webb and clear the debt. Chaos ensues.

There's plenty of death within these pages, but the book is a smooth-flowing light-hearted romp. There aren't many 86 year olds kicking ass and taking names in crime fiction these days, so Calvin is a wonderful creation. There's no real description of him that I can remember and I pictured him as more a wiry scrapper than an Eastwood figure. As befitting a book about a driving family, there is plenty of action and car chases to go with the laughs.

"The hardest working man in crime fiction" has done it again and I'm looking forward to reading the prequel and the eventual third entry in this series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rumrunners.

March 21, 2018 – Shelved