Karith Amel's Reviews > Winter

Winter by Marissa Meyer

bookshelves: kenya-reading

This was probably as strong a conclusion to the series as it possibly could have been (which is a not insignificant compliment). Interestingly, Meyer's books seem to get better the more people she adds to them, and instead of some of these characters feeling like an afterthought, they all maintain their own distinct flavor and primacy (and some, like Scarlet, who are rather insipid and confusing as main characters - why is she in the story again? - are quite enjoyable as supporting cast). The Snow White narrative also lends itself more easily to the political drama undergirding this series than either Red Riding Hood or Rapunzel did (Cress's narrative, and especially Scarlet's, both seemed fairly irrelevant to the main thrust of the action).

There were certainly still frustrations (view spoiler), but, overall, this was an enjoyable ride, and, I would argue, the strongest in the series apart from Cinder - probably because, like Cinder, it seems to have a single, unified story to tell.

I'll admit to adoring Thorne by the end of this book, and also rather loving Winter herself - who is often most captivating when she is most strange.

All in all, not the most profound of books, but lighthearted, fun, and entertaining, with strong female leads (who save themselves, each other, and their princes more often than not), and I still maintain it'd make an excellent manga or anime series. Also, both this and Cinder kept me up reading late into the night - something no book has done in quite a long while.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter.

March 15, 2018 – Started Reading