Iris's Reviews > Six of Crows

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

bookshelves: 5-stars, fantasy, my-favourites, read-in-2018, dark-and-stabby, emotional-pain, impossible-to-put-down, lgbtq
Recommended for: ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE!!!!!!!
Read 2 times. Last read June 15, 2018 to June 18, 2018.

***Second Read Review, June 18, 2018***

Wow. I swear this was even better the second time around. I still don't really know how to review this book. It's just too good.

But just... I love it so much!
The characters are FANTASTIC!
The world building is rich and amazing, and I just love this world so much???!!!!
The plot is twisty and intense and spectacular! You know it's a good sign when you still can't put the book down during a reread.
The characters. Did I mention the characters? I really, really love the characters!

I also got so much more out of it this time around! So much foreshadowing, and also it was just nice to read this again, without being too stressed out about the characters wellbeing.

And also just the characters were amazing! And heartbreaking! And the ships were adorable! (When they weren't trying to kill each other that is)

Just so good. Go read it.

***First Read Review, March 21, 2018***

I just... don't even know how to review this beautiful wonderful amazing book! It was SO good!!!! I cannot believe I waited so long to read this! Seriously, WHY?!?!?!
I really don't know how to review this. Like, how do you review perfection? I don't know. So I'm just going to say right now that there is no way this review is ever going to come close to doing this spectacular book justice!
I've definitely found a new favourite series! I can't believe I was actually worried that the hype would let me down here! No. Way. This way exceeded my expectations. And trust me, they were pretty high!

it's just... The diversity! The heists! The banter! The characters! Kaz! Nina! Inej! Matthias! And of course my new OTP Jesper and Wylan! I am SO in love with all of them, and AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Can you tell I'm a tad obsessed? No? Well let me shout at you about it some more then.

SIX OF CROWS IS ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I'VE EVER READ!!!! IF YOU HAVEN'T READ IT YET, WHAT ARE YOU EVER DOING WITH YOUR LIFE? GO READ IT!!! Because seriously, Six of Crows is SO good! It has taken it's well deserved place among my very favourite series of all time. And also I've desperately wanted to reread it ever since I finished Crooked Kingdom. It took all of my self control to restrain myself and send it back to the library. I think I'll probably manage hold off for a bit longer before I give in and reread it. At least I will be able to if I keep sending my parents to the library to pick up my holds instead of going myself... 😂

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six of Crows.

Quotes Iris Liked

Leigh Bardugo
“I'm a business man," he'd told her. "No more, no less."
"You're a thief, Kaz."
"Isn't that what I just said?”

Leigh Bardugo
“Kaz leaned back. "What's the easiest way to steal a man's wallet?"
"Knife to the throat?" asked Inej.
"Gun to the back?" said Jesper.
"Poison in his cup?" suggested Nina.
"You're all horrible," said Matthias.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Jesper knocked his head against the hull and cast his eyes heavenward. “Fine. But if Pekka Rollins kills us all, I’m going to get Wylan’s ghost to teach my ghost how to play the flute just so that I can annoy the hell out of your ghost.”
Brekker’s lips quirked. “I’ll just hire Matthias’ ghost to kick your ghost’s ass.”
“My ghost won’t associate with your ghost,” Matthias said primly, and then wondered if the sea air was rotting his brain.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Why does the brave druskelle Matthias Helvar eat no meat? 'Tis a sad story indeed, my child. His teeth were winnowed away by a vexatious Grisha, and now he can eat only pudding.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Why don't Fjerdans let girls fight?"
"They don't want to fight."
"How do you know? Have you ever asked one?"
"Fjerdan women are to be venerated, protected."
"That's probably a wise policy."
"It is?"
"Think how embarrassing it would be for you when you got trounced by a Fjerdan girl.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Oh, I see. I'm the wicked Grisha seductress. I have beguiled you with my Grisha wiles!"
She poked him in the chest.
"Stop that."
"No. I'm beguiling you.”

“You love trickery."
"I love puzzles. Trickery is just my native tongue.”

Leigh Bardugo
“She wouldn't wish love on anyone. It was the guest you welcomed and then couldn't be rid of.”

Leigh Bardugo
“The easiest way to steal a man’s wallet is to tell him you’re going to steal his watch. You take his attention and direct it where you want it to go.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Take good care of my babies,” Jesper said as he handed them over to Dirix. “If I see a single scratch or nick on those, I’ll spell forgive me on your chest in bullet holes.”

Leigh Bardugo
“He’s going to get us all killed,” she said.
Jesper stretched his long arms overhead and grinned, his teeth white against his dark skin. He had yet to give up his rifle, and the silhouette of it across his back made him resemble a gawky, long-limbed bird. “Statistically, he’ll probably only get some of us killed.”

“Nina—” Inej murmured.
“Don’t you start in on me.”
“It will all work out. Let Kaz do what he does best.”
“He’s horrible.”
“But effective. Being angry at Kaz for being ruthless is like being angry at a stove for being hot. You know what he is.”
Nina crossed her arms. “I’m mad at you, too.”
“Me? Why?”
“I don’t know yet. I just am.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Besides, she was the Wraith – the only law that applied to her was gravity, and some days she defied that, too.”

Leigh Bardugo
“When everyone knows you’re a monster, you needn’t waste time doing every monstrous thing.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favorite flower, your favorite song, your favorite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart.”

Leigh Bardugo
“When we get our money, you can burn kruge to keep you warm."
"I'm going to pay someone to burn my kruge for me."
"Why don't you pay someone else to pay someone to burn your kruge for you? That's what the big players do.”

Leigh Bardugo
“He'd broken his leg dropping down from the rooftop. The bone didn't set right, and he'd limped ever after. So he'd found himself a Fabrikator and had his cane made. It became a declaration. There was no part of him that was no broken, that had not healed wrong, and there was no part of him that was not stronger for having been broken.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Nina might not be able to put you back, you know. Not without another dose of parem. You could be stuck like this.”
“Why does it matter?”
“I don’t know!” Jesper said angrily. “Maybe I liked your stupid face.”

Leigh Bardugo
“A liar, a thief, and utterly without conscience. But he'll keep to any deal you strike with him.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Compromise," Kaz said. " 'I'm sorry' does the trick and uses fewer bullets.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Nina just liked to flirt with everything. He'd once seen her make eyes at a pair of shoes she fancied in a shop window.”

Leigh Bardugo
“You were early, Jesper,” Kaz said as he nudged Matthias towards the boat.

“I was on time.”

“For you, that’s early. Next time you plan to impress me give me some warning.”

“The animals are out, and I found you a boat. This is when a thank you would be in order.”

“Thank you, Jesper,” said Nina.

“You’re very welcome, gorgeous. See, Kaz? That’s how the civilised folk do.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Usually people don't start hating each other until a week into the job, but you two have a head start.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Always hit where the mark isn't looking"

"Who's Mark?" asked Wylan.”

Leigh Bardugo
“You're passable at demo. You're excellent at hostage.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Who'd deny a poor cripple his cane?
"If the cripple is you, then any man with sense.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Maybe your tutors didn't cover this lesson, but you do not argue with a man covered in blood and a knife up his sleeve.”

Leigh Bardugo
“If it were a trick, I'd promise you safety. I'd offer you happiness. I don't know if that exists in the Barrel, but you'll find none of it with me."
For some reason, those words had comforted her. Better terrible truths than kind lies.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Our hopes rest with you, Mister Brekker. If you fail, all the world will suffer for it."
"Oh, it's worse than that, Van Eck. If I fail, I don't get paid.”

Leigh Bardugo
“It's not natural for women to fight."
"It's not natural for someone to be as stupid as he is tall, and yet there you stand.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Though he'd trusted her with his life countless times, it felt much more frightening to trust her with his shame.”

Leigh Bardugo
“You can't spend his money if you're dead."

"I'll acquire expensive habits in the afterlife.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Jesper!” I’m going to kill that little idiot. “What do you want?” he shouted down. “Close your eyes!” “You can’t kiss me from down there, Wylan.” “Just do it!” “This better be good!” He shut his eyes. “Are they closed?” “Damn it, Wylan, yes, they’re—” There was a shrill, shrieking howl, and then bright light bloomed behind Jesper’s lids.”

Leigh Bardugo
“And get me clean clothes and fresh water.” “Since when am I your valet?” “Man with a knife, remember?” he said over his shoulder. “Man with a gun!” Jesper called after him.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Kaz is … I don’t know, he’s like nobody else I’ve ever known. He surprises me.” “Yes. Like a hive of bees in your dresser drawer.” Jesper barked a laugh. “Just like that.”

Leigh Bardugo
“You don’t smell like roses any more,” he said, then wanted to kick himself. He shouldn’t be noticing her scent. “I probably smell like boat.” No, she smelled sweet, perfect like … “Toffee?” Her eyes slid away guiltily. “Kaz said to pack what we needed for the journey. A girl has to eat.” She reached into her pocket and drew out a bag of toffees. “Want one?”

Leigh Bardugo
“Matthias put his head in his hands, imagining the havoc these low creatures were about to wreak on his country’s capital. “It’s one prisoner, Helvar,” said Kaz. “And a bridge,” Wylan put in helpfully. “And anything we have to blow up in between,” added Jesper. “Everyone shut up,” Matthias growled. Jesper shrugged. “Fjerdans.” “I don’t like any of this,” said Nina. Kaz raised a brow. “Well, at least you and Helvar found something to agree on.”

Leigh Bardugo
“They’d even made him imitate the different patterns of the bells. A necessity, but he’d felt like a fool chanting, “Bing bong bing bing bong. No, wait, bing bing bong bing bing.”

Leigh Bardugo
“I wonder what Matthias would have to say about that outfit.” “He wouldn’t approve.” “He doesn’t approve of anything about you. But when you laugh, he perks up like a tulip in fresh water.” Nina snorted. “Matthias the tulip.” “The big, brooding, yellow tulip.”

Leigh Bardugo
“They’re in trouble, Kaz had thought. Or you were dead wrong about Matthias, and you’re about to pay for all of those talking tree jokes.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Remember our friend Mark?" Wylan winced. Let's say the mark is a tourist walking through the Barrel. He's heard it's a good place to get rolled, so he keeps patting his wallet, making sure it's there, congratulating himself on just how alert and cautious he;s being. No fool he. Of course every thime he pats his back pocket or the front of his coat, what is he doing? He's telliing every thief on the Stave exactly where he keeps his scrub."

"Saints," grumbled Nina. "I've probably done that."

"Everyone does," said Inej.

Jesper lifted a brow. "Not everyone."

"That's only because you never have anything in your wallet," Nina shot back.

"Mean."

"Factual."

"Facts are for the unimaginative," Jesper said with a dismissive wave.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Wylan looked as if he was ready to wet himself. Helvar appeared grim as always. Jesper just grinned and whispered, "Well, we've managed to get ourselves locked into the most secure prison in the world. We're either geniuses or the dumbest sons of bitches to ever breathe air.”
tags: lol

Leigh Bardugo
“Good luck hitting a skinny little schooner cutting through the waves bound for fortune and glory."
"I'll quote you on that when a cannonball lands in my lap," said Nina.”

Leigh Bardugo
“There was no part of him that was not broken, that had not healed wrong, and there was no part of him that was not stronger for having been broken.”

Leigh Bardugo
“As they roared past the streetlamps, people emerged from their houses to see what was happening. Nina tried to imagine what their wild crew must look like to these Fjerdans. What did they see as they poked their heads out of windows and doorways? A group of hooting kids clinging to a tank painted with the Fjerdan flag and charging along like some deranged float gone astray from its parade: a girl in purple silk and a boy with red-gold curls poking out from behind the guns; four soaked people holding tight to the sides for dear life—a Shu boy in prison clothes, two bedraggled drüskelle, and Nina, a half-naked girl in shreds of teal chiffon shouting, "We have a moat!”

Leigh Bardugo
“Jesper couldn't keep the disdain from his voice. "Only Nina and Matthias speak Fjerdan."
"I speak Fjerdan," Wylan protested.
"Schoolroom Fjerdan, right? I bet you speak Fjerdan about as well as I speak moose."
"Moose is probably your native tongue," mumbled Wylan.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Do not bend," Nina snapped. "Do not leap. Do not move abruptly. If you don't promise to take it easy, I'll slow your heart and keep you in a coma until I can be sure you've recovered fully."
"Nina Zenik, as soon as I figure out where you've put my knifes, we're going to have words."
"The first ones had better be 'Thank you, oh great Nina, for dedicating every waking moment of this miserable journey to saving my sorry life'"
Jasper expected Inej to laugh and was startled when she took Nina's face between her hands and said, "Thank you for keeping me in this world when fate seemed determined to drag me to the next. I owe you a life debt."
Nina blushed deeply. "I was teasing, Inej." She paused. "I think we've both had enough of debts."
"This is one I'm glad to bear.”

Leigh Bardugo
“He made himself refocus on Inej's feet. "Saints," he said.
Inej grimaced. "That bad?"
"No, you just have really ugly feet."
"Ugly feet that got you on this roof.”

Leigh Bardugo
“I don't like the idea of killing people, either. I don't even like chemistry."
"What do you like?"
"Music. Numbers. Equations. They're not like words. They ... they don't get mixed up."
"If only you could talk to girls in equations."
There was a long silence, and then, eyes trained on the notch they'd created in the link, Wylan said, "Just girls?"
Jesper restrained a grin. "No. Not just girls." It really was a shame they were all probably going to die tonight.”

March 20, 2018 – Started Reading
March 20, 2018 – Shelved
March 20, 2018 –
page 124
26.67% "Why do I get the feeling that the "if they don't kill each other first." in the description is really just referring to Mathias and Nina?"
March 21, 2018 – Shelved as: 5-stars
March 21, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
March 21, 2018 – Shelved as: my-favourites
March 21, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
March 21, 2018 – Finished Reading
June 15, 2018 – Started Reading
page 1
0.22% "Look, I have a legitimate excuse for rereading this, okay?

My book club is reading it (at my urging, but still!)

So. I obviously need to reread it. Just for a refresh.

(and when I reread Crooked Kingdom, well... that'll be totally necessary too... for some reason or another... :D)"
page 18
3.9% ""Compromise. I'm sorry does the the trick, and uses fewer bullets."

I'm so glad to be back with my darlings! I LOVE THEM SO MUCH!!!!!

Also this scene... 😂😂😂"
page 20
4.33% ""No mourners"
"No funerals"

This feels like coming home."
page 44
9.52% ""Prosperous, pious, a widower, recently remarried to a bride not much older than Kaz himself. And then, of course, there was the mystery of Van Eck's son."

Oh my gosh, I'm dying! 😂😂
I'm getting so much more out of this the second time around!

Also when kaz thought the kidnapper was Jordie 💔💔💔😭😭"
page 57
12.34% ""Oh, it's worse that that, Van Eck. If I fail, I don't get paid."

Oh Kaz."
page 61
13.2% "Inej is amazing!"
page 90
19.48% ""I'm mad at you, too."
"Me? Why?"
"I don't know yet. I just am."

Nina is the best! And I just adore this conversation! 😂😂"
page 107
23.16% "Kaz counting on Jesper to be late! 😂😂😂

Honestly, I know the feeling..."
page 117
25.32% "WYLAN!!! ❤️❤️❤️

I'm so glad to finally see my darling!"
page 126
27.27% ""Always hit where the mark isn't looking."
"Who's Mark?"

Oh Wylan sweetie... 😂"
June 16, 2018 –
page 181
39.18% "'"My ghost won't associate with your ghost." Matthias said primly, and then wondered if the sea air was rotting his brain.'

I can never decide what's funnier... The line itself, or the idea of Matthias saying something primly..."
June 16, 2018 –
page 270
58.44% "I just love this book so much!!! ❤️❤️"
June 17, 2018 –
page 314
67.97% "Kaz 💔💔💔"
June 17, 2018 –
page 333
72.08% "Inej giving Kaz his gloves back...! 😭💔😍"
page 362
78.35% ""Just girls?"
"No. Not just girls."

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!! My ship!!!! I'm squealing right now!!!!!!!! These two are my OTP."
page 382
82.68% "Matthias just has SUCH good character development! He's not exactly the most likeable character of the bunch, but he grows SO MUCH throughout the book!"
page 418
90.48% ""But there was no mistaking it. Kaz Brekker was grinning like an idiot."

This is a momentous day. Kaz Brekker! GRINNING!"
page 447
96.75% "I hate him! I hatehim,I hate him, I HATE HIM!!!

I can't really say who without fear of spoilers, but there's really only one character worthy of this much hatred, so I think you all know who I mean..."
page 449
97.19% "Wylan is my baby, and he deserves the world! ❤️😍❤️😍❤️😍❤️💔💔💔"
page 462
100.0% "This book is brilliant. Just saying."
June 18, 2018 – Finished Reading