Amy's Reviews > Good Luck with That

Good Luck with That by Kristan Higgins

bookshelves: netgalley, best-of-2018

I swear every woman on the planet should read this book you guys. I don’t know of a single woman who hasn’t struggled with her weight or dealt with body image issues or struggled with low self esteem. Higgins captures all of the feelings and emotions that coexist alongside these complicated feelings women have about themselves perfectly and she does it with humor and grace as well.

This is told from all three friends perspectives, Marley and Georgia in present day and then Emerson in a series of heartbreaking journal entries that truly brought me to tears. These women are like so many others, their weight is always at the forefront of their thoughts and it has an effect on every single aspect of their lives, they were painfully relatable on so many levels that I wouldn’t hesitate to wholeheartedly recommend this one to any woman I know personally.

While this was a very emotional read it was also funny and poignant and unabashedly honest in the way women perceive themselves and other woman. While we can be our own harshest critics we can also be super quick to judge other women even as we struggle with our own body image issues which is so profoundly sad but also the God’s honest truth.

Marley and Georgia stole my heart completely and totally and made me yearn for friends just like the two of them. Their friendship was beautiful and inspiring and also raw and vulnerable, they’ve been friends through the bad and the good and know they each have a safe place to land in the others arms. While many of the issues covered here are heavy and sometimes dark this was a truly uplifting and hopeful read that will make you feel less alone in your insecurities and doubtful moments. Highly recommended read from one of my all time favorite authors, Higgins hit it out of the park with this one!

(Quick P. S. I’ve seen this book getting slammed for fat shaming and I just want to say that it doesn’t at all, I found it to be the opposite so if you’re hesitant because if that it’s not even true.)

Good Luck With That in three words: Vulnerable, Emotional and Relevant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Luck with That.

March 20, 2018 – Shelved
March 20, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 24, 2018 – Started Reading
July 24, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley
August 7, 2018 – Shelved as: best-of-2018
August 7, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Jess☺️ (new)

Jess☺️ Great review Amy! Glad you enjoyed it 🙂

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Thanks so much Jess!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Terrific review! I need to read this!

message 4: by Letty (new) - added it

Letty Great review. I need to read this!