Bec's Reviews > Whisper

Whisper by Lynette Noni

4619726

liked it
bookshelves: read-2018, want-to-buy, netgalley
Read 2 times. Last read March 20, 2018 to March 26, 2018.

This review first appeared on Readers in Wonderland

5 THINGS ABOUT WHISPER
NA LoveOzYA Sci Fi wins again!
I don’t know what’s in the water, but NA LoveOzYA Sci Fi has been killing it. At least the two books in that genre I’ve read haha. Just like THE UNDERCURRENT, WHISPER was a surprising and enjoyable read that I didn’t expect to get addicted to. It’s set in Australia which was a great bonus. My only complaint was that the writing sometimes told too much instead of showed, but that’s such a minor thing (and probably was more obvious because the book I read before this was A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC)

It didn’t always take the direction I expected
When you read the blurb of WHISPER it sounds like a pretty typical sci fi/ dystopian when it comes to the evil organisation and such. And sometimes it was (which is fine, sometimes we all want a simple, easy to follow plot), but every now and then something would happen that I didn’t expect from a book like this. I loved being taken down a different road than usual.

A fascinating power
I’m not going to talk too much about this because it is a potential spoiler, but the power Jane has is really fascinating. There are so many potential uses, so many different types. The possibilities are endless! I can’t wait for it to be explored more in the sequel.

I sense a potential love triangle and I don’t know how I feel about it
There is no direct romance in this book. We get some very initial development of a potential romance that is incredibly slow burn (and I loved it!!!). However about half way to two thirds through a second guy is introduced who gives me “love interest” vibes. I could be wrong though. Who knows if this guy is even interested in Jane or girls in general, he hasn’t been in to it enough to tell yet. I just have the vibes.

Looking forward to more
After everything that was set up in WHISPER, I’m really looking forward to learning more of everything. The powers, the characters, the plot and world development. Lots more world things can be explored because of Plot Things and I’m excited.

In Summary
WHISPER was a book I knew I’d enjoy, but didn’t expect to find so addicting. There are many things that make it your typical dystopian/ sci fi read, but it didn’t always take me down the expected path. I cannot wait to see more of these characters and this version of Australia in the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whisper.

Finished Reading
March 20, 2018 – Started Reading
March 20, 2018 – Shelved
March 20, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
March 20, 2018 –
30.0% "I only meant to read this for a half hour or so before bed... 3 hours later I only stopped because I was struggling to keep my eyes open"
March 26, 2018 – Shelved as: want-to-buy