Michael's Reviews > Swallow Me Whole

Nov 09, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: comics
Read from November 09 to 10, 2011

I feel like I should love this graphic novel, but I don't. Living in the same city as Nate Powell everyone hypes this book up a bunch. The college here uses it in some of their literature classes. I can see why this might be, there's no superheroes and it looks at what might happen to people who given into their delusions. I for one didn't enjoy the book. I love comics that don't have superheroes, but this one wasn't my style.

The graphic novel is about two siblings that hear voices and sometimes see things. The brother has a wizard that tells him to draw the plans. The sister has bugs that talk to her. As they grow older both are given different options and how to fix it. The sister is given medication and the brother is told it's okay to have a voice in your head as long as it's not evil. Then we see the path both are set on.

The art is beautiful. Nick Powell does a wonderful job with his lines and space. The pictures almost move on the page. The story is well thought out, even if I really didn't like the ending. If you want an odd story about hallucination this might be the one for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swallow Me Whole.