megs_bookrack's Reviews > Geekerella

Geekerella by Ashley Poston

What can I say?

I am a geek and I loved this book.

My last completed book of 2019.
What a great reading year!

During the course of my 2019 Christmas holiday travels, I found myself alone in the car, A LOT. I wanted a little romance to keep me alert whilst driving.

Not for me exactly, but on audio. I had been putting this book off forever, for unknown and totally irrelevant reasons, and on a whim decided to download it.

The stars had blessed me on that day, as I found so much more in this story than romance. It touched my nerdy soul.

I felt filled to capacity with acceptance and understanding whilst listening to this modern-day Cinderella retelling. At its heart, a story about embracing your passions and never apologizing for who you are or what you love.

Our protagonist, Elle Wittimer, is a teen living with her Step-Mother and two Step-Sisters in South Carolina, and yes, you guessed it, the Steps are wicked!

Elle tries to stay out of their way at home. She spends her summer days working in a food truck called the Magic Pumpkin and her nights blogging about her favorite fandom.

Starfield, a classic scifi show that she has loved her whole life is her drug of choice. It's the one thing that makes her still feel connected to her deceased parents, both huge fans.

When it is announced that Starfield is soon to get a movie reboot, Elle can't wait to see who they cast. As any superfan though, she's worried they are going to ruin it.

Do reboots or adaptations ever truly do justice for our loves?

After teen heartthrob, Darien Freeman, is announced to be playing the pivotal Federation Prince Carmindor, Elle knows it is going to suck.

What would he possibly know about Starfield?

All he knows are abs workouts and alarmingly charming smiles, right?

Fueled by anger, she takes to the web and blogs what a travesty it is.

Darien Freeman is a fan however. Being cast as Carmindor has been a life-long dream for him but he's been cast to play a role, not just in the movie, but in life. Bubble-headed playboy is his image and he is forced to stick with it.

Written off by the Starfield fandom as a faker of the highest order, Darien finds himself frustrated and misunderstood. But what can he possibly do about it? He's trapped.

Under the same stars, Elle is trapped as well. Her Steps are downright cruel to her but she has no means of retaliation or true escape. She feels powerless against them.

To promote the new movie, the Starfield execs plan a cosplay contest to be held at ExcelsiCon; the very same Con created by Elle's late father. She can't believe her luck and sees the grand prize, tickets to L.A., as her means of escape.

Darien is not pleased when he discovers he will be forced to attend the Con. He used to love attending Cons but to have to go and not be able to proclaim his love as a true fan feels stifling.

(view spoiler).

From the very first chapter, I fell for Elle and her story, hook, line and sinker.

The homage to the original tale of Cinderella, while bringing it fully into the 21st-century, was beautifully crafted. I loved all the little details and connections throughout the book.

As the synopsis states, this is also a love letter to nerd culture and for many of us, that means a lot.

To feel that we aren't alone and there are legions of people out there just like us, who love the same things and accept us and don't call us weird. It feels good.

Overall, I was really damn impressed with this and hope to be picking up the next, Once Upon a Con installment soon!

Thank you, Ashley Poston, for writing this. It was absolutely wonderful!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Geekerella.

March 20, 2018 – Shelved
March 20, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
December 24, 2019 – Started Reading
December 26, 2019 –
10.0% "Loving this so far! The Cinderella set up is very cute!!"
December 29, 2019 –
December 31, 2019 –
90.0% "My goodness.
I have flown through this and am absolutely loving it.

Let my Geek Flag Fly!!!"
December 31, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by TMR (new) - added it

TMR Good luck.

megs_bookrack The Masked Reader wrote: "Good luck."Haha, thank you!!! ☺️😁😂

Jenn This book was so adorable. And I really loved the sequel as well

megs_bookrack Jenn wrote: "This book was so adorable. And I really loved the sequel as well"I'm excited to get to it. It's on sale on Book Outlet right now...so perfect excuse to buy at least $35 worth of books...free shipping! ;)

message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Excellent review meg!!👍💋😉💞

megs_bookrack Kat wrote: "Excellent review meg!!👍💋😉💞"Thank you, love! xo

message 7: by 춘분™ (new)

춘분™ Good rewiew. I♥️ all your rewiws

megs_bookrack 춘분™ wrote: "Good rewiew. I♥️ all your rewiws" Thank you so much! That means a lot to me. I appreciate it! xo