Isabella ~Mikku-chan~'s Reviews > The Henchmen of Zenda

The Henchmen of Zenda by K.J. Charles

bookshelves: 5-stars-favourites, favorites, arc-advanced-reader-copy

Retellings are always a delight for me and when I first read about this one I couldn't wait to get it.

The Henchmen of Zenda is a marvelous story full of snarky swordsmen, sarcasm and tension. The sexual tension is right there from the start between Jasper and Rupert, and their dueling with the foils is a scene you are thinking about long after you've set down the book.

The book has a lot of events, in fact it's not easy to summarize it without spoiling anthing - with reveal too much - but in the true tradition of the author's writing, KJ Charles knows how to create the necessary atmosphere in every scene. The characters are set in the historic time and setting - in a fictional country which is set in Europe - , they are acting totally like you would expect them to but then there is no dull moment, nothing you would consider as boring or dusty. In fact because of the snarky comments and the enormous sarcasm, the underlinging humor the characters have their own charme.

I can't tell how much I loved the way how several climaxes of any kind were displayed. I truly enjoyed these scenes, the balance between emotional, almost sweet scenes and the dramatic ones.

For this retelling, with charming characters I give 5 out of 5 stars. If you love historical romances you'll love this. :3

Review originally posted on my blog with added content Mikku-chan / A world full of words

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Henchmen of Zenda.

March 20, 2018 – Shelved