Sonatajessica's Reviews > The Devil and the Deep

The Devil and the Deep by Ellen Datlow

it was ok
bookshelves: horror-challenge-18, read-in-2018, shorties-of-fears-and-faerys

Anthologies can be a compilation of hits and misses and a little in between, sadly "The Devil and the Deep" was overpowered with misses for me. I averaged out on 2.3*, that's not good, you know. Two stories I couldn't even finish, I was too bored and life is too short.
I think though, that if you like your Horror more on the slow moving side, maybe even a little on the Lovecraftian side, you are the reader who will be much happier than me with this book. I missed a sea monster here and there, I wanted some scarier and less moody stories, I mean it is all about the balanced mix with a themed anthology and here the ship is leaning too heavily to the slogging side for my taste.

That being said, there were 2 amazing stand out stories that made it worth working my through it, coincidentally (not so coincidentally?) they were by 2 writers that I already know and like: Stephen Graham Jones and Seanan Mcguire. Holy tsunami, I loved those stories, the concepts, the play with the theme, the writing: they had it all! But 2 out of 15? The often in other reviews mentioned "Shit Happens" was for sure entertaining but fell a bit flat since I now had those high expectations. With 3 other stories I would call decent til good but that's it, there was so much not my kind of sea weed in here.

My top 3:

3) "The Tryal Attract" by Terry Dowling
2) "A Moment Before Breaking" by A.C. Wise
1) "Haunt" by Siobhan Carroll

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil and the Deep.

March 20, 2018 – Shelved