jD's Reviews > The Exiled Son

The Exiled Son by Mattius C.S. White

Nov 09, 2011

bookshelves: 2_kindle_own, 2011-read, 6_new-series, different-and-strange, fantasy_adventure_worldbuilding

This one was a mix for me at first but I am rethinking my initial review. I loved the underlying story and the richness of the characters, especially the characters. The Exiled Son was so much more than I expected. I am actually going to change my rating to five stars because it is and I am not as pissed over the cliffhanger. Yes, I am petty at times but will admit when I am wrong. This is the first time I have ever changed a rating but I wanted to do the right thing.

The plot was creative and filled with aspects of fantasy that I love such as worldbuilding, epic journeys, legends come to life, large scale battles, and friendship. The imperfections where not of the writer's making but my own personal taste. I did not like the heroine, for example. Some of the magic was too convenient, making and breaking heros as the story required verus what should have happened based on the parameters of the magic.

The story is edited quite well so I did not find myself slogging through long-winded scenes. Mr. White was very efficient in moving the story along at a comfortable pace while taking time to build this unusual world.

I hate cliffhangers even when I know they are coming. I thought I was going to skip the next one but have changed my mind since it's out and the characters are now in my blood. I knew I had to change my rating from 4 to 5 stars because of the fact that I can't stop thinking about this story. I highly recommend this book to those who love a litte steampunk mixed in with major sword play in their dark fantasy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Exiled Son.

message 1: by Mattius (new) - added it

Mattius White Thank you for the review and all the specifics you noted for me to consider and work on! I really appreciate it. I'm sorry for the cliffhanger ending. I wrote it as one big book and had to split it in two. NEVER AGAIN!!! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I hope you will consider finishing the story. Part II does have an ending :). Thanks again.

message 2: by Jesslyn (new) - added it

Jesslyn I wasn't going to read it until I saw that it is a self-pub. So now I'll get it and hope that the author heard you about the cliffhanger ending. (That is one of the worst trends in books today)

message 3: by Mattius (new) - added it

Mattius White Thanks, Jesslyn! It ended up being a 750 page book, so the story arc tends toward both this one and The Leaves of Dusk. My publisher just couldn't make the pricing structure work for printing a book that large :( I was bummed, but I am happy people are reading it!

message 4: by Jesslyn (new) - added it

Jesslyn I'm getting the Kindle versions.

message 5: by jD (new) - rated it 5 stars

jD Mattius,

What is the timeframe for book two? If it's soon, I will read it. Part of the problem for me is that I read so many books I sometimes forget the secondary characters. I can work with a cliffhanger if I am not expected to remember the characters two years later or am supposed to care after a long absence.

jD

message 6: by jD (last edited Dec 28, 2011 09:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

jD Jesslyn wrote: "I'm getting the Kindle versions."

Jesslyn --
I really think you will like this if you like Warded Man and Chronicles of the Necromancer.
jD

message 7: by Jesslyn (new) - added it

Jesslyn I LOVED the Warded Man so I can't wait. Thanks!

message 8: by jD (new) - rated it 5 stars

jD You need to hit up Chronicles of the Necromancer when you have some time. The series is finished so no waiting.

The Warded Man similarity for me was having a hero with bloodlust and imperfections. He just rolls with determination and focus.