C.G. Drews's Reviews > Gideon the Ninth

Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir

bookshelves: 4-star, adult, read-2019, sci-fi

i still don't even remotely know what to do with this book that has left me splattered across the footpath. I'm currently GLARING at it. But also in awe of it. I'll straight up admit: adult scifi is a genre I very rarely reach for, but I had to for this because anyone who who says lesbian necromancers in space deserves my pledge of allegiance. It took adjusting to get into and I still have infinite questions about the world building. But also -- holy shit -- tHIS BOOK.

[world building]
Going to kick off with this because it was both the best/worst part for me. I was confused for like 80% of the book, always got the characters confused (there were...so many characters; all with complicated names), and am still here asking: why don't they have technology? what do the houses/planets even really do? why is the ninth hated? what tf is a lector? why is this book full of necromancers but people kept dying AND NOBODY BROUGHT THEM BACK.

part of me wants to think and think and come to my own answers. Which I have been doing. So I feel the book maybe intended that? It makes you work. However I could also be coming up with all sorts of nonsense for my "answers" so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ is this a win or a lose. I do definitely say: it took me a long long time to full get into the book without begin smothered in confusion. I was still enjoying the beginning. But I HIGHLY recommend you don't DNF! It isn't YA scifi, it's adult. And it follows a different pacing and rules.

[characters]
I FREAKING LOVE GIDEON NAV. <-- that's all that needs to be said truly. She's sassy, snarky, acidic (but in a self-depreciating way instead of a hateful way), and is in love with her sword (the true otp), is absolutely queer as anything, and has a gloriously delicious bad attitude about even being part of the Ninth. She's a cavalier (under protest) to the Ninth's Reverend Daughter, Harrowhark...and they hate each other (pls kiss) and their arc is phenomenal.

there are also a freaking lot of other characters. I confused, forgot, or misremembered half. But the stand-outs were Dulcinea and the shitty teens (Isaac and Jeanmarie) and Camila and her necromancer (WHY DID I FORGET HIS NAME).

[audiobook]
also I listened to it on audio so my spelling for everything just died. and I LOVE the narrator! (She did The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy too) and she's brilliant and absolutely brought it to life for me. The book is made 1000% better by the audio, trust me.

[story]
oh god. it was incredible. slow at times. I feel like the beginning had me squinting and unconvinced, but the ending just shocked my hair on end, was full on and powerful and bitter and bloody and extraordinarily creepy and violent. All good things, thank u thank u. I'm still hanging on by the tip of one bloody fingernail while I try to process the ending -- and yell I need book 2.

[overall]
It wasn't what I expected, and it wasn't fast and it was a bit confusing, but the writing was phenomenal (witty, sardonic, clever and inventive) and I adored Gideon's voice and character and absolutely gives no fucks attitude. She's the Gryffindor to Harrowhark's Slytherin, and they make a terrible and therefore perfect team.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gideon the Ninth.

March 19, 2018 – Shelved
January 4, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
November 30, 2019 – Started Reading
December 3, 2019 –
page 200
44.64% "I am enjoying this but I also have no idea what's going on 🤗"
December 11, 2019 – Shelved as: 4-star
December 11, 2019 – Shelved as: adult
December 11, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
December 11, 2019 – Shelved as: sci-fi
December 11, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Beate People dying and not bringing them back: The first two were gone before they tried to communicate with them, and in general with necro rules elsewhere, you can reanimate corpses or talk to ghosts, but that's a long way from actually letting them run around "alive", which seems to also be something that is slightly outlawed for whatever reason.

As far as I can tell, Lectors are one step below the Emperor in power, I kept thinking they were like the Dark Council in the Sith Empire except maybe good. We should learn more in Harrow the Ninth.