Ayekah's Reviews > The Cowboy's Homecoming Surprise

The Cowboy's Homecoming Surprise by Jennifer Hoopes

I loved this book. I don't know how she does it, but from the very first page Jennifer sucks me right into the story and doesn't let go. I read it in one sitting, I couldn't put it down.
Ryder leaves the ranch 10 years ago, leaving behind his one love Peyton. 19 years old and after that one last row with his father, he can't take anymore so without a word to anyone, not even Peyton he disappears. It's a year before anyone hears from him and he writes his mom a letter letting her know he's alive and living in Alaska. No address, no anything. Just the basics.
What Ryder didn't know was that when he left Peyton, he left her with a part of himself. Those ten years have passed, and Ryder has returned to town. The last thing Peyton expects and a good thing her daughter is off at wilderness camp that week. Peyton has been taken in by Ryders family, she works at the Ranch, they love having Mel her daughter around and it's good for Ryders parents to have them both close by. Despite Ryder. When Ryder finds out he's a father, he's a ball of emotion. He's runs the whole gamut. The anger, the sadness, the bull about no one contacting him (really Ryder??) After his parents hired private investigators to try and find him... wrong. Ryder is a great study in character and Jennifer did a fantastic job with insight, his own self talk and how he dealt with both Peyton, Mel and ultimately his father. Ryder's come home not because he missed anyone, he's come home to show his father he's a success. His company he formed with his best friend has purchased the land around the lake at the ranch to build cabins to attract more visitors and insuring the success of the ranch. Now he's got a real purpose, to secure Mel's future.
Ryder makes mistakes, Peyton makes a few but she's got game that girl. Mel is perfect and I really liked Ryders Mom Shelby. Powerful woman, few words but when she says them she speaks her mind.
This is another fantastic story from Jennifer, I loved the first one and this one even more. This book has the perfect balance of tension between the story and characters. Add it to your list. It's a great read.

**advanced copy from NetGalley and Entangled for an honest review. All thought and opinions are my own.**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cowboy's Homecoming Surprise.

March 19, 2018 – Shelved