Jeff Raymond's Reviews > The Queens of Innis Lear

The Queens of Innis Lear by Tessa Gratton

bookshelves: books-i-own-on-kindle, netgalley-edition, read-fantasy-and-horror

There has been no lack of books designed to be the next Game of Thrones, but Queens of Innis Lear is truly the first one in the post-Martin landscape that both achieves the breadth and scope.

The story follows three heirs to a throne, each with its own different claim. The king has his preference, but the world, with some subtle magic involved and with each queen having their own motivation, the result is the typical chaos that one might expect.

There are plenty of surprises here, and a lot I really enjoyed. Some characters end up more compelling than others, and I found it difficult not to root for one specific result in a way other like stories do not, but as a full and complete concept, this was a super compelling read.

I feel like we’re currently in an epic/traditional fantasy rut, and this balances out the overcomplicated efforts with the really compelling narratives. Bump this to the top of your list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queens of Innis Lear.

March 19, 2018 – Started Reading