Nicole's Reviews > Duck, Duck, Moose

Duck, Duck, Moose by Joy Heyer

Duck, Duck, Moose has all of the elements of the perfect picture book. The story is entertaining for adults and children alike. There aren't too many words per page and they are fun words to say and hear. The charming illustrations work with the words to tell the full story. Each time we have read this, my kids can't wait to turn the page to see what problem Duck will find himself in next. I love Duck's facial expressions. They tell the story in and of themselves.

This book also has a feel good message about friendship and social skills without being annoying or preachy. I love the example duck shows of turning a disappointing situation around with a little problem-solving and a change in attitude. But most importantly, it's just a positively enjoyable book!

Classroom Use: This book would be great inspiration for creative writing exercises.  Students could come up with their own ideas of what traditional games with combinations of animals might look like. What would work well? What wouldn't?Students could also write about what they thought Goose was doing while he was away.

This book is perfect for studying standards related to "key ideas and details" particularly in looking at describing characters in the story.  Because the illustrations are an integral part of showing characters emotions they actually become "text evidence." The visual text evidence may be more concrete for some learners and help cement the idea of how to find and use text evidence to support conclusions.  This would also apply to teaching standards related to "integration of knowledge and skills."

Age Recommendation: I love reading this book over and over with my kids. This one works for the youngest of readers to the oldest.

Appropriateness: Only warm fuzzies and innocence in this one, along with a good dose of wit.

Other Book Recommendations: If you like Duck, Duck, Moose or books like it then you should try The Book with No Pictures by B.J. Novak, any Elephant and Piggie or Pigeon books by Mo Willems, Cindy Moo by Lori Mortensen, and Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great by Bob Shea.