Melissa Schneider's Reviews > I Have the Right To: A High School Survivor's Story of Sexual Assault, Justice, and Hope

I Have the Right To by Chessy Prout

20385371

bookshelves: abuse, consent-rape, family-relationships, friendship

Chessy is a survivor of a sexual assault that happened when she was a 15-year-old student at a prestigious boarding school. Her story is powerful and heartbreaking, and all too real for so many girls and women.

Hers is more than a story of sexual assault. It is a glimpse into the horrors that victims and their families and friends face in the aftermath of reporting such crimes. It is an exploration of the organizational structures that turn a blind eye to the rape culture that permeates so many academic (and business) environments. It is a movement to support victims/survivors of assault and educate the world about what consent really means.

Not all readers will relate to Chessy's privileged upbringing, but they should come to understand to rape and sexual assault are not socioeconomic, racial, or even gender-specific crimes. They are crimes against humans - siblings, children, parents, friends, family members, and strangers.

Regardless of our age, gender, or upbringing, we should all read, share, and talk about Chessy's story. #IHavetheRightTo

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Have the Right To.

March 19, 2018 – Shelved