Bron's Reviews > Drink Deep

Drink Deep by Chloe Neill

Nov 09, 2011

bookshelves: vampire, witch, fae
Read in November, 2011

Yay for the long awaited continuation of Merit's story! Merit is grieving the loss of Ethan, made more complicated by the fact that she keeps dreaming of him in storms. (Although I know she was in pain, the writing didn't convey it with such a heavy sense of loss that I felt like crying too.)

Coincidentally, the waters of Chicago turn black, and Merit is sent to investigate before Frank (and the GP) take over their house. Luckily, Jonah is happy to step in as Merit's partner, wanting a different type of partnership to what Merit is actually willing to offer. Somehow, Jonah can just drop his house commitments and go running at Merit's every beck and call! Hats off to Jonah, although he appears to be attracted to Merit, he can tell when to back off, and by the end I felt a little upset for him!

Sadly, Ms Neill chose to build a wedge between merit and her BFF/ sister Mallory. Mallory had spent 2 weeks with Merit when Ethan first died, but then went back to finish her magic studies and started pulling away from Merit. By the end of the book I was left with the feeling that Mallory had simply been using Merit for her own end, and doesn't appear to have any good moral grounding on how to treat a friend.

If you though the ending of Hard Bitten was unreal (I was sure it would end up as a random drug induced event that hadn't really happened), the ending of this book is even more unreal. To me the end (without spoilers) is a little sudden and not exactly real feeling, it has qualities that make it seem like a happy ending dream rather than a real life event, lacking only a sunset for them to drive into!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drink Deep.