Mamta's Reviews > Indigo

Indigo by Satyajit Ray

F 50x66
Nov 09, 2011

Satyajit Ray has always intrigued me and I have been wanting to read some of his books for a long time now (Specially Feluda, which i have heard is his most popular book). While this remains on my wish list I managed to get my hands on Indigo which is a compilation of his short stories.

Indigo explores the world of the super natural, magic and occult through its stories...truly a brilliant color in the rainbow of generes. The stories are written in a simple natural flow, which is amazing. It is brilliant how Satyajit Ray uses ordinary men, whom you would overlook i your day to day life, as his protagonists. The hidden characters of these people have made me aware that the most ordinary, mundane person around me, probably has a deeper, secondary life that I am unaware of. Since reading the book, I am looking at each person I meet in a new light, trying to understand the hidden not so obvious persona.

The brilliance of Satyajit Ray as a film maker can be felt even through his literary works. There is very little descriptive text in the book, but while reading a story, you can actually visualise the entire scene and it seems surreal. It is an enigma as to how Ray almost makes a reader feel that they are part of the story...lurking in the background...watching the events unfold in front of them. I felt goosebumps at the site of dead animals suddenly alive in the room, and almost shouted out hallelujah, at small victories of the children in school.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Indigo.

November 9, 2011 – Started Reading
November 9, 2011 – Shelved
November 13, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Donald (new) - added it

Donald Vanerp i really think you would like the indigo story apocalypse not (a journey of survival) its about the so called apocalypse and the indigos role in surviving and helping when it becomes post apocalyptic its really cool if ur into the indigo thing but keep in mind its fiction

Mamta Thanks donald. I am going to look it up