Ashlee » Library In The Country's Reviews > Over Raging Tides

Over Raging Tides by Jennifer Ellision

bookshelves: fantasy-read, review-copy

View review on my blog, Library in the Country
This copy was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Lady pirates! Secrets! Quests for treasure! Betrayal! Sea creatures!

When I first heard about Over Raging Tides, my first thought was: I need to read this and I immediately added it to my "to-read" shelf on Goodreads.

So, imagine my surprise when I was offered an opportunity by the author to read the book in exchange for an honest review. I could not pass it up and have been left with no regrets.

"Life at sea is not butterflies and daisies.
Her gift is freedom, but it's not something she gives for free."

Stories about pirates, mermaids, sirens, etc. have been all the rage lately and this book sated my desire for another sea-faring story wonderfully. It is a fast-paced adventure with Pirates of the Caribbean vibes, a mysterious backstory and it becomes a delectably interesting tale overall.

The main character - Grace - has spent most of her life aboard the pirate ship, Lady Luck and currently serves as her quartermaster. Unlike other ships sailing the Eleven Seas, the Luck is comprised of an entirely female crew and men are not allowed to step foot onboard. However, after a bending of the rules, a young man named Leo has found himself aboard the Luck and may be the key to finding a map most have believed to be a legend. For this map is enchanted with the ability to show the location of whatever you seek of it. The pirates aboard the Luck wish to use the map to find treasure. Gracie wishes to use the map to find the Mordgris, sea creatures who took her mother years before. To locate the map, the women aboard the Luck must set aside their rules and work beside Leo. However, not everyone on the crew is pleased with this arrangement.

"You have found yourself aboard a pirate ship. Female pirates, yes, but pirates nonetheless. There are many things in our code, but honor is not one of them."

I was not expecting Gracie to be as ruthless and morally grey of a character as she was, but she is a pirate after all and she fit her profession well. Grace and Leo are both cunning in their ways and good counterparts for each other. I only wish their character development was deeper. We do not learn much about Leo, his family or even his story and are not given a strong grasp on Grace's nature outside her interactions with other characters. To say the least, their depth of character is lacking in some ways. They are unique characters, without a doubt, but I'm not sure if they are memorable.

That said - the story overall is strong with a good air of mystery to it. I found myself fascinated by the Mordgris and constantly trying to picture what they look like and what they are. What is the story behind Gracie's mother? What does the captain know? Why do the Mordgris constantly plague Gracie? This book has some fairly good plot twists I did not anticipate, keeping me caught up with the story and always wanting a little more. There are several plotlines running throughout the story and it closes with a cliffhanger ending that is enticing but not shocking or heartbreaking. You'll be left wanting more, but you won't be left in tears or frustration. Over Raging Tides is not a standalone and I am looking forward to seeing where the story takes us in the next installment.

If you want a fast-paced, fun, uncomplicated adventure, this is the book for you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Over Raging Tides.

March 18, 2018 – Shelved
March 18, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 23, 2018 – Started Reading
May 23, 2018 –
page 0
0.0% "Lady pirates! I cannot wait!"
May 29, 2018 –
23.0% "Loving the banter and ladies in this!"
June 1, 2018 –