DarienMoya's Reviews > Trial by Fire

Trial by Fire by B.A. Tortuga

2.5

~SO MUCH GRAVY NOT ENOUGH BISCUITS~

In all the years I’ve been reading m/m books and all the years B.A Tortuga has been writing m/m this is my very first time reading the author. If “Trial by Fire” is the usual fare can I honestly say that I haven’t t been missing much or is it a case that I might have been missing all too much? This book had melodrama coming out of its wazoo. Daytime soap opera type shiiiii….

Lachlan has been searching for his sister for many years, and when he finally gets a call that she’s been located, but it comes with news that he wasn’t really expecting. His sister has perished in a plane crash along with her husband leaving behind a daughter, a niece he wants to meet and become an uncle to. That means navigating the family his sister married into, one thing is for damn sure he’ll leaving the heart of Texas with his niece.

What then transpires is drama of epic intents. My head was reeling with the amount of crazy that was going down. This book had the plane crash, a baby-napping for ransom for 10 million dollars (cue Dr Evil finger to the mouth), and straight up all out shooting. All this went down in the first 60% of the book.

Then there is Lachlan and Holden. Holden being the legal guardian of the little girl and twin brother of the husband to his sister 😒. They be hating each other but they also be loving each other, because nothing brings two people closer together than a kidnapping. It’s a dramatic mess of epic proportions and kept I reading for the sole purpose of how much more ridiculous could it get. Turmoil is thrown in from both Lachlan and Holden’s parents who can’t seem to compromise on how the baby should be raised, while also dealing with the budding relationship of love between Holden and Lachlan. Their love is fast like a mustang in the wind.

Overall, this was a very harlequinesque type read with crazy thrown in for plot device while offering a very mediocre story. There was a lot somethings without any actual answers to most of it. I found the writing alright but I couldn’t take anything seriously, the dialogue was over the top and more comedic than entertaining. Cowboys speak is a hell of thing!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Review Writing Songs
Redbone by Childish Gambino
MIC Drop by BTS, Steve Aoki
DNA by BTS

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trial by Fire.

March 18, 2018 – Shelved
March 18, 2018 – Shelved as: m-m-to-read
March 19, 2018 – Shelved as: dreamspun-desires
March 24, 2018 – Shelved as: up-next
March 31, 2018 – Started Reading
March 31, 2018 –
20.0% "Ever been reading words and it’s crazy?? So far it’s like a puzzle and all the pieces are scattered ( a five hundred piece puzzle)."
April 1, 2018 –
30.0% "Why is all this so bloody dramatic? The drama..."
April 1, 2018 –
55.0% "I’m still reading this only to find out how much more ridiculous it can get. "
April 1, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-reads
April 1, 2018 – Shelved as: release-2016
April 1, 2018 – Shelved as: rich-ass-dudes
April 1, 2018 – Shelved as: when-fucking-crazy-happens
April 1, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by Lyn (new) - added it

Lyn Sounds ridiculous. Not touching this one. lol

DarienMoya Lyn wrote: "Sounds ridiculous. Not touching this one. lol"

It really was bonkers 🤪

Earlyn it was not that bad.....

DarienMoya Earlyn wrote: "it was not that bad....."

I wouldn’t say it was sooooooo bad but I found it more ridiculous than anything else 🤷🏽‍♀️

message 5: by Jae (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jae Moran She's always skirting the edge of over the top but Best New Artist and the Release series are highlights. Two Cowboy's and a Baby is also Dreamspun Desires, but a much better book. Laugh out loud Funny and super tropey.

DarienMoya Jae wrote: "She's always skirting the edge of over the top but Best New Artist and the Release series are highlights. Two Cowboy's and a Baby is also Dreamspun Desires, but a much better book. Laugh out loud F..."

I’ll eventually get to that Two Cowboys and a baby, and I’m not writing her off as an author . Willing to check out her books if any capture my interest. I feel like there is one crazy book that i will love lol

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Nope!!

DarienMoya Lauren wrote: "Nope!!"

🤣🤣🤣

message 9: by Line (new)

Line It seems that this collection-series is quite harlequinesque:-) Thanks for a brilliant review D:-*

DarienMoya Line wrote: "It seems that this collection-series is quite harlequinesque:-) Thanks for a brilliant review D:-*"

Thanks Line!!

Yes the entire series is very harlequinesque, but some books are better than others. The writing and storyline didn’t quite work in this one.

* A Reader Obsessed * Tortuga is an acquired taste imo

DarienMoya R * A Reader Obsessed * wrote: "Tortuga is an acquired taste imo"

I hear that!! I haven’t taken to the taste quite yet.

* A Reader Obsessed * I made a good effort and I”m kinda over it but if you know what you want and are gonna get then at least she’s pretty consistent. Lol

DarienMoya R * A Reader Obsessed * wrote: "I made a good effort and I”m kinda over it but if you know what you want and are gonna get then at least she’s pretty consistent. Lol"

🤣🤣🤣 consistency is key

message 15: by Mira (new)

Mira Great review and spot-on. The level of ridiculousness was just pure amusement. Definitely could not take anything seriously, including the dialogue. I know real cowboys in Texas who run serious spreads...nobody talks like this!!

DarienMoya Mira wrote: "Great review and spot-on. The level of ridiculousness was just pure amusement. Definitely could not take anything seriously, including the dialogue. I know real cowboys in Texas who run serious spr..."

Thanks Mira!! It really was ridiculous.

message 17: by Wynne (new)

Wynne Katherine Fantastic review babe! I'm sorry this was a bust though :( I hope your next read will be better! <3