Science (Fiction) Comedy Horror and Fantasy Geek/Nerd a.k.a Mario's Reviews > Binti

Binti by Nnedi Okorafor

bookshelves: okorafor-nnedi

The world needs more revolutionary, progressive social Sci-Fi like that.

The evolution of Sci-Fi, that was a long time a predominantly weird
genre leads to a much wider and more multicultural approach with settings of people of different cultures, traditions, mythologies, nations, civilizations and ideologies. For instance Buddhism and Asian mentality mixed with immortality, AI, resurrection, hive minds, etc. Or biopunk genre based on indigenous people living in rainforests and unexplored nature and wilderness all around the world. The whole Gaia mentality mixed with all kinds of emancipation, feminism and cultural rebellion.

What unbelievable kind of social Sci-Fi may grow out of these new ways of telling a story with often overused tropes may be astonishing. No more old macho stereotypes with the evil aliens, mainly evil industries and mainly superficial social studies. Women are to a certain extent simply better at describing emotional und especially empathic characters and protagonist driven plots and Sci-Fi is the genre with the most possibilities to let the most amazing dreams come true, cause elements of fantasy, history and, of course, many sciences can be mixed in. Especially social sciences, be it relations between aliens and humans, different developing humans, robots or AIs and anyone.

I have read hundreds, hopefully once in decades thousands, of Sci-Fi novels and got used to a nice, but quite kind of monotonous way of telling the story. First at the beginning, the genre was extremely egocentric, not to say, megalomaniac, as many of the old masters of the genre could be described as. The funny thing is that they used to describe utopias with old and mostly evil gender and race stereotypes, not recognizing that not just the tech, but humanity as a whole may evolve too and forgot to or didn´t want to mention it in their novels. After that came the more plot-driven steampunk, Spaceopera, Cyberpunk and Hard Sci-Fi genres with a mostly male protagonist. Now, finally, in the 21 century, more and more great stories, written by women, I would say to a certain extent not writeable by men, come to enrich the life of avid readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Binti.

Finished Reading
March 18, 2018 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by May (new)

May 舞 I would also recommend the works of N.K. Jemisin, if you haven't heard of her before. I believe her books fit this description: "The whole Gaia mentality mixed with all kinds of emancipation, feminism and cultural rebellion."

Science (Fiction) Comedy Horror and Fantasy Geek/Nerd a.k.a Mario May wrote: "I would also recommend the works of N.K. Jemisin, if you haven't heard of her before. I believe her books fit this description: "The whole Gaia mentality mixed with all kinds of emancipation, femin..."

I read the first part of her broken earth series, it was fantastic. I hope that many male Sci-Fi authors will integrate more Social Sci-Fi and female authors more space opera, plot-driven elements, that would be the perfect fit, not "just" Hard Sci-Fi without emotions and Social Sci-Fi with 2 characters and 2 settings. A better mixture with more possibilities to surprise the reader.

message 3: by May (new)

May 舞 Science (Fiction) Comedy Horror and Fantasy Geek/Nerd a.k.a Mario wrote: "May wrote: "I would also recommend the works of N.K. Jemisin, if you haven't heard of her before. I believe her books fit this description: "The whole Gaia mentality mixed with all kinds of emancip..."

1- Glad to hear that (^・^)
2- I see your point and I agree. I think I will take a peek at your science fiction shelves for recommendations.

Science (Fiction) Comedy Horror and Fantasy Geek/Nerd a.k.a Mario May wrote: "Science (Fiction) Comedy Horror and Fantasy Geek/Nerd a.k.a Mario wrote: "May wrote: "I would also recommend the works of N.K. Jemisin, if you haven't heard of her before. I believe her books fit t..."

2. My shelves are quite sexist, cause they are filled with mostly male Sci-Fi authors. My problem is that there are so few female Sci-Fi authors that are proven great by al least a few thousand reviews that I can´t really say which ones from still undiscovered Indie authors are good and bad and as always the premise is "So many books, so little time". So I hope that soon the same hype as in Fantasy, that was a long time predominantly male-dominated too, will come over Sci-Fi and help me with my reading decisions thanks to collective rating intelligence.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Nice analysis of the evolution of sci-fi. 🙂

Science (Fiction) Comedy Horror and Fantasy Geek/Nerd a.k.a Mario Barbara wrote: "Nice analysis of the evolution of sci-fi. 🙂"

Thank u, let´s see what comes next.