Jessica Sinn (Books and Trouble)'s Reviews > Off Kilter

Off Kilter by Hannah  Reed

Mar 18, 2018

liked it

The gist: As with all our hapless sleuths in the cozy mystery genre, Eden Elliott is at a crossroads in her life. With nothing anchoring her to the city life (lucky!), she decides to take a prolonged sabbatical in a quaint little Scottish hamlet, where she can blissfully write her little heart out and complete her first novel. Lo and behold a worker is found dead—stabbed by his own sheers—on her new friend’s sheep farm. Someone is out to sabotage the farm and all evidence points to the new owner. It’s up to our intrepid aspiring novelist to untangle the twisted web of nefarious family members to save her friend from a life in prison—or worse!

What worked: I picked up this book so I could whisk myself away to a quiet Scottish hamlet filled with quirky characters, cozy bars with crackling fireplaces and miles of rolling green pastures spattered with fluffy white sheep. This solid little mystery delivered all that in spades—and I can’t wait to read the next installment in this series to see if Eden will eventually fall for the town’s most eligible bachelor and set down roots in the lovely little hamlet of GlenKillen.

What irked me: Considering that Eden went to a tiny little town to stay put and write a book, why did she feel the need to rent a car—especially since she had to learn to drive stick shift on dangerous hairpin roads? This was a golden opportunity for her to go without a car and travel around on a bike like J.B. Fletcher. How cool would that be?

Overall: This is a great first installment to a fun little mystery series for those of us who enjoy traveling the world variously through books! Eden is a likeable, yet flawed, character who clearly has an interesting journey ahead filled with romance and dead bodies!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Off Kilter.

Finished Reading