Keleigh's Reviews > Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind: Informal Talks on Zen Meditation and Practice

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki

bookshelves: truth, alwaysinthebackofmymind

This book was recommended to me by various persons in different phases of my life, but I clearly wasn't ready to read it till now. Suzuki's talks on zazen are spare and direct, demystifying Buddhism as a religion or philosophy and continually bringing the focus back to the simple and perfect practice of sitting--cleaning out your mind through meditation. Though we all choose different paths according to our culture and temperament, the ultimate desire is the same: for the soul or "big I" to freely express itself, released from delusion. Whether you meditate or not, Suzuki provides useful and illuminating truths for anyone interested in becoming more mindful. Here is one of my favorite passages:

"Each of us must make his own true way, and when we do, that way will express the universal way. This is the mystery. When you understand one thing, you understand everything. When you try to understand everything, you will not understand anything. The best way is to understand yourself, and then you will understand everything. So when you try hard to make your own way, you will help others, and you will be helped by others. Before you make your own way you cannot help anyone, and no one can help you. To be independent in this true sense, we have to forget everything which we have in our mind and discover something quite new and different moment after moment. This is how we live in this world."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind.

May 30, 2008 – Shelved
Started Reading
June 26, 2008 – Shelved as: truth
June 26, 2008 – Shelved as: alwaysinthebackofmymind
June 26, 2008 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Rhea (new)

Rhea Rhodan I read and enjoyed this book many years ago. Thank you for reminding me about it.

message 2: by Glen (new)

Glen Choi Nice review. I like to think of the "discover something quite new and different moment after moment" as discovering the wave-like nature of our thoughts/emotions.

Cathy Oliver bbk c .jruh o

Cathy Oliver rl ..ufuoni

Cathy Oliver l
u nixlukbllllliol

Cathy Oliver bxmmk j

Kenneth Tsui Loved that passage. I missed it somehow!