Julie's Reviews > The High Tide Club

The High Tide Club by Mary Kay Andrews

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, e-book, netgalley, st-martin-s-press, 2018, audio

The High Tide Club by Mary Kay Andrews is a 2018 St. Martin’s Press publication.

A Southern style beach read-

When ninety-nine- year old Josephine Bettendorf Warrick commissions Brooke Trappnell to gather her old friends from the ‘High Tide Club’ together before she passes away, Brooke is taken aback by her request. Josephine wants to make amends with her old friends and intends to bequeath them her estate on Talisa Island. Brooke is stunned to discover her own grandmother had once been a charter member of Josephine’s club, which could also present a conflict of interest on her part. However, she immediately begins to search for the ladies who will inherit the island, bringing together an eclectic group of women all harboring an explosive secret.

Meanwhile, Brooke asks an old colleague to help with the Josephine’s estate, bringing up a few unrequited feelings, while she also struggles to raise her three- year old son on her own.

Once all the ladies are gathered on the island, mostly descendants of the original High Tide Club, Josephine loosens up enough to begin weaving tale of intrigue and mystery directly involving Brooke’s grandmother.

The revelations continue to pile up, one on top of another as more people come forward claiming to be relatives of Josephine, all wanting a piece of the pie. Is it possible for Brooke to determine who the rightful heirs are? Could a long- ago mystery have any bearing on the case?

Believe it or not, this is my first Mary Kay Andrews novel. I’ve been dying to sample her work for a long time and am so glad I finally took the plunge. I see why this author is so popular and will certainly be adding more of her books to my TBR pile.

I love southern fiction and beach reads and find the two often make a terrific combo. I also love old secrets and mysteries, and especially love it when a group of ladies all work in tandem to get something accomplished.

There is a large cast of characters, which usually causes problems for me, but I didn’t have a bit of trouble keeping up with who was who, and never got confused at any time along the way. The pacing is just a tiny bit slow at times, but I never got bored or tempted to skip ahead. There are some reveals I saw coming, while others completely blindsided me.

While the mystery is quite compelling, it is the friendship and bonding of strong female characters, some quirky, some hard to like, some difficult to figure out, but all united in a common cause, that is what makes this story special. The last few chapters, which wrapped up some personal issues Brooke was dealing with was a little bit rushed through, but the epilogue was simply outstanding!
This is my last ‘beach read’ of the summer. I don’t think I could have chosen a better story than this one to close out my summer reading season.

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The High Tide Club.

March 17, 2018 – Shelved
August 31, 2018 – Started Reading
August 31, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
August 31, 2018 – Shelved as: audio
September 10, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

Kaceey - Traveling Sister Fantastic review Julie! Glad you enjoyed it! I’ve always wanted to read one by this author too!🤗

Norma * Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Julie! So glad you enjoyed it!

message 3: by Brandice (new)

Brandice Great review, Julie! I haven’t read anything by Andrews yet either, but keep seeing high praise for this one so I may need to add it :)

Julie Brandice wrote: "Great review, Julie! I haven’t read anything by Andrews yet either, but keep seeing high praise for this one so I may need to add it :)"

Thank you, Brandice!! I think this book was a great introduction to this author. I hope you can fit it into your reading schedule. 😊

Julie Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! So glad you enjoyed it!"

Thank you, Norma!! 😊

Julie Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Fantastic review Julie! Glad you enjoyed it! I’ve always wanted to read one by this author too!🤗"

Thank you, Kaceey!! This was book was a terrific way to meet this author. Can't wait to read more of her books!!

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Beautiful review, Julie! :)

message 8: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Fantastic review, Julie! Sounds like a great way to wrap up summer reads!

message 9: by KAS (new)

KAS Glad you enjoyed your first MKA book, Julie ;) I have yet to read her, but always heard she writes great “friendship” books filled with humor. Fabulous review and glad your last beach read of the year ended positively!! 😘❤️

Julie Diane wrote: "Beautiful review, Julie! :)"

Thank you, Diane!! 😊

Julie Meredith wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie! Sounds like a great way to wrap up summer reads!"

Thank you, Meredith!! 😊

Julie KAS wrote: "Glad you enjoyed your first MKA book, Julie ;) I have yet to read her, but always heard she writes great “friendship” books filled with humor. Fabulous review and glad your last beach read of the y..."

Thank you, KAS!! 😊❤😊

message 13: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Very nice review Julie 💖

Julie Maureen wrote: "Very nice review Julie 💖"

Thank you, Maureen!! 😊❤😊

message 15: by Babydimps (Suzy) (new)

Babydimps (Suzy) Great review Julie! 😊

message 16: by RedemptionDenied (new)

RedemptionDenied Great review, Julie!

Julie Babydimps (Suzy) wrote: "Great review Julie! 😊"

Thank you, Suzy!! 😊

Julie RedemptionDenied wrote: "Great review, Julie!"

Thank you, RD!! 😊

message 19: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Sounds great Julie!

Julie Holly wrote: "Sounds great Julie!"

Thanks, Holly!! I think you'd like this one!! 😊

message 21: by Susanne (new)

Susanne Strong Awesome review Julie!

Julie Susanne wrote: "Awesome review Julie!"

Thank you, Susanne!! 😊

message 23: by Victoria (new)

Victoria So glad you enjoyed your first MKA and super review! I've read quite a few and it's always a fun experience.

Julie Victoria wrote: "So glad you enjoyed your first MKA and super review! I've read quite a few and it's always a fun experience."

Thank you, Victoria!! I'm even more excited to read more of her work after your endorsement!! 😊❤😊

message 25: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Lovely review Julie! :-)

Julie Sandra wrote: "Lovely review Julie! :-)"

Thank you, Sandy!! 😊❤😊