Audrey's Reviews > Equal Rites

Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett

liked it
bookshelves: audiobooks, fantasy, 2018-books

Although the third Discworld book, it is fine to start the series here. The characters are all new. You only need to know that octarine, the eighth color of the rainbow, is the color of magic, and therefore the number 8 is also associated with magic.

This isn’t one of my favorite Discworld stories so far, though. There’s a full story arc and good characters, and it is humorous, just not as funny as the others in the series, and it started to feel long even though it isn’t.

I have a few favorite lines:

It’s a fact known throughout the universes that no matter how carefully the colors are chosen, institutional decor ends up as either vomit green, unmentionable brown, nicotine yellow or surgical appliance pink.

The lodgings were on the top floor next to the well-guarded premises of a respectable dealer in stolen property because, as Granny had heard, good fences make good neighbours.

She was opposed to books on strict moral grounds, since she had heard that many of them were written by dead people and therefore it stood to reason reading them would be as bad as necromancy.

… the blow a baby gets to introduce it to the world and give it a rough idea of what to expect from life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Equal Rites.

March 17, 2018 – Started Reading
March 17, 2018 – Shelved
March 17, 2018 – Shelved as: audiobooks
March 17, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
March 22, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-books
March 22, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Miranda (new)

Miranda Reads this was one of those series I'm not sure of i wanted to start - it's such a long series! Would you recommend?

Audrey It contains sub-series, and most really work as a stand-alone. I’d recommend it for fans of Douglas Adams and Monty Python. #4 is pretty good so far, and #8 was really good.

message 3: by Miranda (new)

Miranda Reads Audrey wrote: "It contains sub-series, and most really work as a stand-alone. I’d recommend it for fans of Douglas Adams and Monty Python. #4 is pretty good so far, and #8 was really good."

I will have to give it a shot then :)