Rachel's Reviews > Exiled

Exiled by M.R. Merrick

Chase Williams was exiled.

Unable to tap into his elemental power, the Circle deemed him unworthy and sent him away.

He is a demon hunter.

Even without the protection of the Circle, Chase knows who he is. It’s in his blood. It’s what he was born to be.

He is a fighter.

He fights for what he believes to be right. He fights for the safety of those who can’t fight for themselves. He fights because it’s all he knows.

And now he’s ready to fight back.

Alongside those he once thought were his enemies. Against those he used to call friends. In order to keep a dangerous adversary from unleashing an unimaginable evil on the world.

But he may be too late.

To stop his enemy. To protect his friends. And to save those he loves most.

***

Exiled is an intense, thrilling and action-packed urban fantasy meets epic adventure story with an electrifying pace that will keep readers racing through the pages. With a unique and incredibly imaginative set of characters, from witches to warlocks, from vampires to werecats and from gremlins to giants, this story has them all, and more, and integrates them into the world the author created seamlessly.

Chase Williams is a demon hunter born and raised. But when his elemental powers aren’t revealed to him on his birthday in front of the Circle, not only is he disgraced but so is his father, who immediately chooses sides against him and his mother.

After years in exile things are only getting worse. Not only are the half-demon attacks escalating, but now it seems that someone is kidnapping them, putting them more on edge than ever and making Chase’s life even more dangerous.

When Chase learns that not all Underworlders are the evil monsters he always thought them to be and that the Circle isn’t as righteous, he is forced to question everything he’s learned and everything he knows. And he will have to rely on a mysterious half-demon named Rayna to help him find answers.

Author M.R. Merrick has written an exciting and highly addictive story with Exiled. Told in the first person, his story takes readers to Stonewall where half-demons lurk in the shadows, where exiled hunters fight against the most dangerous of their kind and where a renegade member of the Circle seeks to release an unspeakable evil in their quest for power.

Exiled is a quick read, with captivating characters and an intriguing plot, that grabs hold from the opening sentence and won’t shake readers loose until they’ve experienced the action, discovered the mystery and gone on the adventure with Chase through the dark and dangerous streets of Stonewall to the fantastical fairytale world beyond.

An enthralling one-sit-read filled with action, betrayal, excitement, magic, prophecies, mystery and surprises, Exiled will keep readers submersed in the story and will leave them eager to continue the adventure in the next installment in the series.

On a personal note:

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Ad infinitum.

Wait? Do I have to say something else? Well, I suppose I can find a few more things to say about this book.

Yes. I loved Exiled. I have been wanting to read it for a couple months now. Ever since I first heard about it. I was drawn in by the title. There’s nothing quite like the idea of a character being exiled that will spark my curiosity.

Then there was that cover. What a gorgeous and absolutely perfect match that cover is for the title. The colors, the forlorn image of that tree and the ravaged looking font completely lured me in. And once I read that description… well, I just had to have this book.

I mean, it has demons. And demon hunters. Two of my very favorite types of characters to read about. Still, I didn’t immediately fall in love…. Until I read the first line.

Oh yeah, the claws came out. And I mean literally. Right there in that first sentence.

There was no slow introduction to Chase or to his world. You are right in it from the very beginning. There is no question about how the story will progress from that point. There is no confusion about who Chase is or how he exists.

His world is filled with danger. It’s exciting. It’s action-packed. It’s electrifying. And Chase? He’s fearless. He’s impulsive. He’s a definite risk-taker. And he’s one pretty kick-a** demon hunter.

Yep. Chase is so totally awesome. But what I love most about him is the fact that he isn’t perfect. Which of course makes me love him all the more. He is frustrating. He doesn’t listen. He can be rude at times. He is unbelievably stubborn. But he is also very brave. And he isn’t so stubborn that he isn’t willing to keep an open mind.

The world in Exiled is definitely dark, dangerous and gritty as seen through Chase’s eyes, which is just the kind of world I want to read about. I loved being able to follow Chase as he tried to uncover just what the Circle was up to in his world and in that other one.

I also love Rayna. She’s a total curiosity. I’m still dying to find out exactly… no… no I can’t say what I’m dying to find out about her. But a huge part of the mystery in this story and the next surrounds Rayna.

And I loved reading about all the different types of characters that existed in this book. Some of them good, many of them bad, but all of them interesting and a few rather unique.

How amazingly creative this author is and what a dynamic story he wrote. I absolutely loved it and can’t wait to see what’s coming up next in Shift. And from what I hear, once I start reading that first chapter I won’t be able to put it down.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exiled.

November 8, 2011 – Shelved
January 23, 2012 – Started Reading
January 23, 2012 –
January 23, 2012 –
January 24, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay! Glad you liked it, Rachel.