DarienMoya's Reviews > From the Ashes

From the Ashes by Xen Sanders

4.5

A man that feels nothing and one that feels too much…

Tobias Rutherford just seems like a normal graduate researcher. He’s unassuming, antisocial and draws no attention. Which works in his favour, because who he is really would scare the ever living hell out of those that surround him. He is “Spark” the destroyer, monster, a man with no humanity, a man without love and hope. He is on mission to stop research that would cause the destruction of his kind, research that would erase all that he is all that is family is.

power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Tobias is an aberrant what you might called an evolved human. The aberrants have super powers and are feared by humans because all they wield is destruction. Spark knows nothing else but murder and pain being the son of the most feared aberrant and dictator. With his father he’s brought nations to their knees and watched them burn. Tobias knows he’s a monster and he knows he has to protect his people from the humans because humans change and destroy what they cannot understand or they find a way to use them. He’s got a job to do and he's had to kill a few people along the way but the long game was always the protection of his people and believing in his cause until there was Sean Archer. Sean came and rearranged the very molecules of Tobias’s existence and challenged everything he thought he was. There is fine line between thinking you’re a monster and then finally realizing that you are.

From the Ashes is a smart action packed read and quite different from anything I’ve read. It’s fiction with a purpose and I found myself taking pause to think about all that I was reading. It was just so brutal with its honest writing and I found myself connecting to some of Tobias thoughts. He’s wrong but mostly sometimes he’s also right, he’s the perfect anti hero and I really like him. What I got mostly from reading, is society’s demanding need to change what they don’t understand. As a mother with boys who have Autism I spend a lot of my time and their time changing them to be exactly what society demands (the world won’t change for them I have to change them for the world) my entire goal is to make them resemble what they call neuro-typical. If you don’t fit whether it be with race or disability we try to change or we get rid of it. So when I say connected to Tobias I really did man. His anger made him flawed but some of his reasoning's was sound.

We don’t kill the hawk for being a different bird from the sparrow, though one is stronger and preys on the other. Yet we kill aberrants for being different from humans although they, too, are men, born of a common ancestor. Such hypocrisy is intolerable and unethical in the face of the basic right to life.

Throw in a bit of romance with the violence and I was in heaven. Like I didn’t expect it to be so sweet but it really and truly was. Two guys from very different side of the tracks coming together so beautifully. Their thinking like night and day but their connection was real and in the long run created quite a few epic moments. Tobias as I said is the epitome of anti-hero but overall very likeable and when he sparked out (fans self) murderous angry dudes seem to be a big mood with me. He’s the product of an evil overlord father he knows no better. Sean is like a rainbow to Tobias’s dark clouds. He challenges him and makes him feel and I also enjoyed him as a character. Their sexy time was right amount of intensity mixed with sweet.

As I said this is very smart read and very plot driven the world that Xen has created; its very interesting. The showdown at the end legit had my heart in my throat and I don’t want to give anything away but let’s just say scene was intense and heart wrenching to read. Another selling point is our anti-hero is a person of colour and that alone is already a win for me plus it’s featured on the book cover (what can I say, representation is a beautiful thing).

From the Ashes was an entertaining read with a great premise and I am looking very forward to book 2 in the series. Let’s just say Tobias has a few things to deal with, he’s got hella blood on his hands and he straight up defied his father. Plus, he’s got to learn and embrace the man he’s becoming and it will be hard. After all it’s a series on redemption.

SideNote- That guy on the cover (I swoon all over the place).

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want.
I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. I will look for you, I will find you, and I will date you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From the Ashes.

March 17, 2018 – Started Reading
March 17, 2018 – Shelved
March 17, 2018 – Shelved as: p-o-c-characters
March 17, 2018 – Shelved as: p-o-c-on-the-covers
March 17, 2018 – Shelved as: p-o-c-authors
March 21, 2018 –
20.0% "Me: I am so smart enough to read this

Inner me: Bitch you know you ain’t that smart

description"
March 22, 2018 –
50.0% "This is good!! Like I’m reading but I’m also thinking 🤔 (which means nothing good will come from this 😁)."
65.0% "Whaaaaaaaaaat!! 😲

description"
March 23, 2018 –
71.0% "Ugh...I want to keep reading but I have to go do mundane things that I don’t want to do.

I’d like to put in my request to become very rich overnight and to live a life of leisure just reading and eating.
"
March 23, 2018 –
80.0% "😞 love is a battlefield!!"
March 23, 2018 –
100.0% "Book 2 I need you, I want you, I gots to have you!!

This was so good, so different, so very freaking smart. It’s available on Instafreebie somgo fucking get it and just love it.

Support own voices and POC authors!
"
March 23, 2018 – Shelved as: pants-off-reviews
March 23, 2018 – Shelved as: release-2017
March 23, 2018 – Shelved as: serious-stuff
March 23, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by Lyn (new) - added it

Lyn This one sounds like a winner. I hope I can appreciate it as much as you did.

DarienMoya Lyn wrote: "This one sounds like a winner. I hope I can appreciate it as much as you did."

I really enjoyed it had hope others do too. But I made a personal connection to it as poc and just the overall message.

message 3: by Wynne (new) - added it

Wynne Katherine Wonderful review babe! I am glad you enjoyed this book :D After reading your review, I think I will be adding this one to my tbr ;)

DarienMoya Wynne wrote: "Wonderful review babe! I am glad you enjoyed this book :D After reading your review, I think I will be adding this one to my tbr ;)"

Thanks Wynne!! It truly was a very entertaining read. Gotta love the antihero

message 5: by Karla (last edited Mar 26, 2018 09:11AM) (new) - added it

Karla Awesome review! I’ve had this one in my TBR for a while should read it soon.

DarienMoya Karla wrote: "Awesome review! I’ve had this one in my TBR for a while should read it soon."

Thanks! And yeh give it a try. It’s a very different read in the usual fare.

Bookreader87(Amanda) Great informative review!

message 8: by Ariana (new)

Ariana Fab review!

DarienMoya Bookreader87(Amanda) wrote: "Great informative review!"

Thanks Amanda 😁

DarienMoya Ariana wrote: "Fab review!"

Thanks Ariana! 😃

message 11: by Anja (new)

Anja Great review, Darien! This authors works are on my list as well :)

DarienMoya Anja wrote: "Great review, Darien! This authors works are on my list as well :)"

Thanks Anja!!

Do check out some of his stuff!!

message 13: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Wow! Awesome review..adding this one to my list.

DarienMoya Lauren wrote: "Wow! Awesome review..adding this one to my list."

Thanks! It’s good book hope you enjoy when you get around to reading.

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion That closing statement is quite powerful. ;)

Glad you enjoyed it!

DarienMoya Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion wrote: "That closing statement is quite powerful. ;)

Glad you enjoyed it!"

LOL it had to have impact!