Kate (beautifulbookland)'s Reviews > Maybe Someone Like You

Maybe Someone Like You by Stacy Wise

bookshelves: net-galley, 4-stars, swoon-worthy-boys

Drinking game: take a shot every time I say the words ‘slow burn’ in this review.

This is my first book by Stacy Wise, and I absolutely loved it! It’s cute and swoony, with just the right amount of cheese.

Ryan is not Katie’s type; she’s an overachieving law school graduate, and he’s a tattooed martial arts instructor. But after he catches her creeping around outside the gym he works at, he offers to give her a tour - and Katie finds herself leaving with a gym schedule and her own personal instructor.

I’m aware that I’ve just made this book sound a bit insta-lovey, but it’s not. Sure, Katie is attracted to Ryan immediately, and is drawn in by his charm and confidence (I, personally, was a goner when his tattoos were described), but it’s definitely not insta-love. It’s slow burn - and I mean slow burn. Like, it’s well past the halfway mark before these two get their arses in gear and talk things out.

In fact, it’s because of how slow burn this slow burn romance is that I can’t give Maybe Someone Like You five stars. Because while I literally live for slow burn romance, I do like to actually see how the characters live in their relationship, and we didn’t really get that with Katie and Ryan. I mean, sure, we’re told how their story ends, but we don’t get to see any of it. I really loved the friendship and the build up to the relationship, but it was afterward that had me a bit disappointed. Had we gotten more fluffy/smutty/swoony times between the two, my rating would definitely have been a five star one.

While I really appreciated Maybe Someone Like You, I definitely don’t appreciate it making me want to go on a NA binge and messing up my tbr list. Just plain rude, I’m telling ya.

*Thank you to the publisher for providing an e-ARC in exchange for a review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maybe Someone Like You.

March 17, 2018 – Shelved